Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much BM for 10+ month olds?

Default How much BM for 10+ month olds?

I want to make sure my DS is still getting an adequate amount of BM. He could go all day without nursing. He's so interested in what's going on around him. He also gets three solid meals a day. I have to make him nurse if it's been 3.5-4 hours.

How often do you nurse your 10 month old (or around 10 months)? Do you know how many oz. a day they should be getting at this age? DS is 10.5 months old.

Thanks.

Default Re: How much BM for 10+ month olds?

Until a year, they should be getting at least 24 oz of breastmilk per day. That's roughly five or six nursing sessions, I think.

Hi, My 9 month old still nurses about every 3 hours. I wish it was less as it gets draining on me. I am offering the sippy more and its helping. I notice when she takes more solids she wont nurse as much. Shes a picky eater so I am working on getting a bit more solids in her so I dont have to nurse as much. My Ped said anywhere from 18-24 oz a day is good. HTH
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

On weekends when we nurse exclusively, my 10 month old nurses 6-7 times a day and sleeps through the night (usually). At DC, she takes 4, 4-oz. bottles in 8 hrs. I've added up the ounces I think she gets daily and it's about 28-32 oz.

I'm not sure how much my son is getting, since he started refusing bottles about 1-2 months ago. So we nurse in the morning, lunchtime, dinner, and before bed, with each nursing session followed by solids; and we do snacks midmorning and mid afternoon, with whatever liquids he'll take via a sippy cup. He seems to be thriving.