Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Night feeds at 9 months old....

Default Re: Night feeds at 9 months old....

ABaker89 that's the bit that I can't get my head around either. We had a good night with the soothing. He woke once, and it took half an hour to help him back to sleep, shushing and patting his back. We did the same for his morning nap, and he's been asleep in the cot for almost an hour and a half now, which is unheard of!!
    So, if we get it right with the soothing, then do we start to try slowly withdrawing it? Maybe hope he needs less and less soothing and then can do without it? Or that he can go longer between wakings, stir and nod back off again. I hope so. I do feel better today after some good sleep.
    CJMommy you are like the inspiration here!! Thanks.

Sorry to hijack BloomyMum, how are your nights going?
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by JackyBoy View Post
    CJMommy you are like the inspiration here!! Thanks.
    Oh my gosh, blush blush! Well, bad news - the last two nights my son has woke up crying in the middle of the night, very randomly. I soothed and it worked, but I was frustrated because for the 4 previous nights, he slept all the way through to 4:30 or 5:30...but I suppose this is just a little setback. I also think maybe he's got new teeth popping through.

Anyway, yes, I think after they respond to the soothing, you're supposed to do less and less. You know, i don't remember "the book" covering that part. I just didn't have to deal with it much (yet) because once he realized he wasn't eating, he just didn't wake as much. Actually, now I remember. It said to "shush" from farther away. So maybe shush next to his/her crib, but don't pat. Then after a few nights, shush from across the room. Then from the door, outside the door, not at all, etc. I'm not sure just shushing will work for my little guy, but I guess at some point I'll have to try. He's at the point now where I go in and pat, shush and then say "go night night" and walk out. He'll give one final cry out, like saying "HEY!" and then silence. Breaks my heart every time, but then again, he's learning to sleep.

Keep me updated. It is also very encouraging for me to hear your stories because I wasn't sure it'd work for us (and I'm still not positive), so it's good to hear others trying and it working!

Quote Originally Posted by CJMommy View Post
    Oh my gosh, blush blush! Well, bad news - the last two nights my son has woke up crying in the middle of the night, very randomly. I soothed and it worked, but I was frustrated because for the 4 previous nights, he slept all the way through to 4:30 or 5:30...but I suppose this is just a little setback. I also think maybe he's got new teeth popping through.

Anyway, yes, I think after they respond to the soothing, you're supposed to do less and less. You know, i don't remember "the book" covering that part. I just didn't have to deal with it much (yet) because once he realized he wasn't eating, he just didn't wake as much. Actually, now I remember. It said to "shush" from farther away. So maybe shush next to his/her crib, but don't pat. Then after a few nights, shush from across the room. Then from the door, outside the door, not at all, etc. I'm not sure just shushing will work for my little guy, but I guess at some point I'll have to try. He's at the point now where I go in and pat, shush and then say "go night night" and walk out. He'll give one final cry out, like saying "HEY!" and then silence. Breaks my heart every time, but then again, he's learning to sleep.

Keep me updated. It is also very encouraging for me to hear your stories because I wasn't sure it'd work for us (and I'm still not positive), so it's good to hear others trying and it working!

Hi all

Sorry I haven't been on, for some reason everytime I click to reply it signs me out!
    I received my book this morning, but haven't had a chance to read any of it yet, so will do when I get the chance this evening......hopefully I will learn what to do for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomymum View Post
    Hi all

Sorry I haven't been on, for some reason everytime I click to reply it signs me out!
    I received my book this morning, but haven't had a chance to read any of it yet, so will do when I get the chance this evening......hopefully I will learn what to do for the best.
    I've been having trouble too with the site. Not sure what's going on. But just wanted to let you all know that last night he slept until 4:45 a.m. again, so I was VERY relieved! We'll see what tonight brings...

Good luck to all!

I've been having trouble too with the site. Not sure what's going on. But just wanted to let you all know that last night he slept until 4:45 a.m. again, so I was VERY relieved! We'll see what tonight brings...

Good luck to all!
    But I am jealous, we've had two bad nights. Teeth trying to come through I think. He was up twice just wanting soothing between midnight and 2am, then at 3.45 was not taking any soothing. I hung in there til haf 4 then brought him in with us. He nursed a couple of times and went to sleep til just before 7. This mum is getting tired!!

We had another bad night last night. The book makes you feel like once you get things settled, it'll be happily ever after, but I have to remind myself that's not realistic. Like you said, there's teething, and my lo wakes up FULLY when he must pooh (like this morning at 5) and it took him an hour to go back to sleep. Now his schedule for the whole day is going to be out of whack. I just looked at his log from the babysitter and yesterday he only napped an hour and a half the whole day, so I bet that has something to do with the horrible sleep of last night. My daughter (1st born) slept 7:30 pm to 7:30 a.m. EVERY SINGLE night starting at 2 months, unless she was sick of course. So this is just so beyond me, it's hard to wrap my brain around. I had a hard time BF her, though, and for the first 2.5 months fed her my milk from a bottle (then did breast until 1 year), so it's my latest theory that she slept so well because she didn't know the joys of waking up to BF...who knows. I just want my son to sleep! And me too!

We had another bad night last night. The book makes you feel like once you get things settled, it'll be happily ever after, but I have to remind myself that's not realistic. Like you said, there's teething, and my lo wakes up FULLY when he must pooh (like this morning at 5) and it took him an hour to go back to sleep. Now his schedule for the whole day is going to be out of whack. I just looked at his log from the babysitter and yesterday he only napped an hour and a half the whole day, so I bet that has something to do with the horrible sleep of last night. My daughter (1st born) slept 7:30 pm to 7:30 a.m. EVERY SINGLE night starting at 2 months, unless she was sick of course. So this is just so beyond me, it's hard to wrap my brain around. I had a hard time BF her, though, and for the first 2.5 months fed her my milk from a bottle (then did breast until 1 year), so it's my latest theory that she slept so well because she didn't know the joys of waking up to BF...who knows. I just want my son to sleep! And me too!
    I am so with you. My first son slept 11 hours every night from about 12 weeks. He was formula fed from this point.... sore nipples, cracks.... unfortunately I didn't know about these forums then. But he did sleep through, which is probably why it's doubly hard with DS2 playing up like he does!! I think a bad night is in store tonight. He hardly napped today, think because of his teeth, and he was bathed and in bed fast asleep just before 7pm. Almost an hour early I'm in for a shocker tonight I think!!

Quote Originally Posted by JackyBoy View Post
    He hardly napped today, think because of his teeth, and he was bathed and in bed fast asleep just before 7pm.
    Our babies are so alike! Mine naps horribly, and every night I struggle to keep him up past 7. He loves the bath, which is the only way I can keep him up. He gets so crabby and would LOVE to go to bed at 6, but that means waking up at 5 (if I'm lucky). If I put him to bed at 7:30, I can hopefully get him to sleep (not all the way through, of course!) until 6 a.m. A good day is 7 a.m., but those are very few and far, far between. My daughter, the one who slept through starting at 2 months, would nap for an hour and a half twice a day at the same times every day. She was SO predictable. I guess this is what makes them special...different personalities, but man, I miss those great sleep days! I had no idea how good I had it

Good luck tonight! We had another bad night last night - I have NO idea what tonight will bring. I'm better off going to bed with the assumption that I'll be up at 2 a.m.

Edited to add - I just realized our sons are also almost exactly the same age - mine was born April 30!
    Last edited by CJMommy; January 11th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.