Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night feeds at 9 months old....

Default Night feeds at 9 months old....

Hi everyone

This is my first time writing on the forum, I am just after abit of advise regarding night waking.

I have a 9 month old daughter, who wakes every 2 hours for a feed from 7pm when she goes to bed. She sleeps for about 2 half hours during the day and no later than 3pm and has 3/4 breastfeeds between 7am and 7pm.

I have no trouble getting her to sleep, sometimes she chatters for half hour before falling asleep.

My husband supports me with my breastfeeding as he knows how important it is to me, but he says my tiredness is effecting the rest of our family (I have 3 other daughters, who I didn't manage to bf). I don't want to stop feeding yet.

I just wondered what other Mums do, is this normal? Any advise would be welcome!

Vicky

Default Re: Night feeds at 9 months old....

Hi Vicky!
    Welcome to the forum!
    So let me see if I understand... You baby is waking every two hours at night to nurse? Or she wakes a total of 3-4 times?
    Either way it is true that night waking is difficult, and many mom's struggle through it.
    You didn't mention if you were co-sleeping; this is a way to sleep better with a baby, there are safe ways to do it. Would this work for your family?

Has this been your babies night waking schedule for a while, or is being aggravated by teething, developmental milestones or life changes ( such as moving houses, change in primary care provider, visitors ect)?

For many mom's finding a balance between baby and family is difficult. What are some of your thoughts about how you might resolve it?

Hi

I don't co-sleep anymore, I used to up until she was about 5 months old, then her nursing through the night was about once or twice, so I would just put her back in her crib. I have wondered if it is teething, nothing has changed in her life, everything is as it always has been and she doesn't have any teeth yet, so it could be that. But it has been getting worse over the last couple of months.

I don't have any ideas how to make it easier, I'm not into the controlled crying, its too upsetting, I just make sure I have a nap at lunch time to get me through the day.

My son did this up until about a week and a half ago. I've gone through FOUR sleep books. It was the last book "Good Night, Sleep Tight" (I think that's the name) that worked for me. It wasn't brain surgery - I actually can't believe there was an entire book written around this lady's theory. BUT it wasn't all or nothing with her (cry it out). What I ended up doing was when he woke up to feed during the night, I went into his room and patted him, shushed, did everything BUT nurse him (he also goes to bed like champ - no crying, just would wake up a lot during the night). It became very apparent that nursing wasn't exactly what he wanted, he just wanted to see me. I've just always automatically nursed him if he woke up b/c he'd go right back to sleep that way. When I patted him/shushed him, he would cry a little and it definitely took longer to get him back to sleep than if I'd just nursed him and put him back, but it took less and less time each night. After about 2 days of this, he started waking up less and less. The past two nights, he's slept from 7:30 to 5:30...those are the first times EVER, in his 8.5 months, of sleeping more than 3-4 hours at a time. I feed him at 5:30 a.m. and then he sleeps for another 2 hours. He's sleeping better during the day, too, and BF better/longer during the days. When starting this, I was worried that I would be starving him during the night, so I made a deal with myself that if he cried hard, and it was obvious he wanted to EAT, I would feed him. But that was never the case. He's in the 60th percentile for weight, so I knew these feedings weren't critical for him.

Just FYI. Thought it might help. Good luck!

Nine months= teething to me sister! See any driven behavior to munch on things? Drool? Many babies will use the Oxytocin in bm to help manage the pain. It has a calming and pain killing effect. I expect that soon you will get a break!
    I never wanted to cry it out because I figured parenting was a 24 hour job, not just a day job. My feeling was that I had been a sensitive parent for this long, that just all of the sudden ignoring him would just be ... well... mean. Just my feeling.
    Have you tried frozen mommy pops for teething on? I used to put them in a mesh feeder for my baby when he was little. frozen bm is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Many babies will use the Oxytocin in bm to help manage the pain. It has a calming and pain killing effect.

I didn't know that! That explains why my baby has done nothing but sleep and nurse for 5 days now. I knew he was teething, but I couldn't figure out why he wanted so much milk so often. That's interesting!

Breastfeeding also lowers a baby's blood pressure, its really pretty relaxing!

Thank you everyone for your help, especially CJMommy - sounds a good book, I have books for everything, just not that one! I will definately try this tonight, she probably doesn't need boobie just reassurance and she settles well of course if I lay down and nurse her.

Hi, Just wanted to say my 9 month old does about the samething. Not every night but alot. I am a very tired momma most days. Sometimes I think its teething as she already has 6 teeth and got them all at once. I do co-sleep and it helps a bit. In the next month or so I may try a book like the one mentioned etc.. Hang in there!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Quote Originally Posted by bloomymum View Post
    Thank you everyone for your help, especially CJMommy - sounds a good book, I have books for everything, just not that one! I will definately try this tonight, she probably doesn't need boobie just reassurance and she settles well of course if I lay down and nurse her.
    You're welcome! I did rule out all other causes and only tried when it was really apparent that he just wanted to say "hi" to Mommy 4 times a night It's been the greatest thing I've done - both for him and me. Last night was the 3rd night in a row that he slept all the way through without even stirring, so now I know it's not a fluke he slept those other two nights. I'm not opposed to letting baby cry it out after 7 or 8 months, but it would have NEVER worked with my child. He gets so revved up and frantic when he cries that it just would have been counter-productive. So I had to find a more soothing way to "teach" him that night is for sleeping. Have patience, it takes more than a few nights, but it's worth it in the end. He knows I'll come to him if he cries, but I think now he values the sleep more than the peek at Mommy

Good luck!