Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how did you do it...the dreadful sippy cup

Default Re: how did you do it...the dreadful sippy cup

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    We never gave them a choice and never brought the bottles out. I am a firm believer of bottles disappearing at 1yrs old. This is my first bf baby, so we will see how things go. She will be getting her cup in a month and 6months later no breast at least that is my plan. I believe in tough love .

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Both my girls were on sippy cups before they turned one!

I started introducing them at 7 months with just water, then by 10 & 11 months they were off bottle and breast. We did the gerber transitional cup. It worked great for us!

Quote Originally Posted by My2Girlies View Post
    Both my girls were on sippy cups before they turned one!

I started introducing them at 7 months with just water, then by 10 & 11 months they were off bottle and breast. We did the gerber transitional cup. It worked great for us!
    I did the same with ds and tried with dd1. I introduced a cup at 6months with their meals and they love it.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

I intro'ed a sippy cup with a straw around 6 mo for fun and he learned to use it fast! I transitioned around 7 mo to a regular sippy (because I couldn't get the straw ones clean enough for m taste) and he took to it soon. About 1 week or so. never had problems since. he only gets water in it though as we're not pumpers and he's allergic to dairy
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I hate the straw cups. They leak and getting the straws clean was a pain. I love playtex cups but plan on using advent cup with dd2.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

The sippy cup really frustrates my baby. I've tried the playtex and the avent. He can't seem to get the liquid out. Now I can't even get him to try. He screams the minute he sees the cup. I have to put it away for a little while and try again some other time.

I am wondering if maybe this would work:
    Fill the sippy with mostly water, and a TINY bit of breastmilk. Just a sip. Then very gradually increase the ration of b-milk to water over a few weeks...
    ???????????????????

I was in your exact position. What made it worse is that my DD looks twice her age (she's very tall) and I was very self-conscience that others would think I was horrible letting her still have a bottle of milk.

I started DD on a sippy at around 7 months old with just a bit of water with her meals. She grew into loving her sippy cups with water or watered down juice in them. But every time I put milk in it she would spit it out and refuse to drink. No matter what I tried, she would refuse. Day in and day out. I posted a similar thread and got many helpful comments, but the best was smiliar to "Don't worry, she's not in kindergarten yet. She still has time. She might just be showing her independence and decision making skills. She'll grow out of it." That helped me out greatly. Yes, most are off by a year, but my DD is extremely independent and stubborn so this made sense to me.

Finally, just a few days after Christmas, (she was 15 1/2 months old) I again tried a new sippy cup (an insulated Elmo and Abby cup that we bought the day before and she kept kissing in the store). I had it ready in the fridge and told her to come get it first thing in the morning. She grabbed it, kissed the cup, kissed me, and took a small sip. Then another one, and then she sat on the couch and drank all of her milk from it. Success!!!!!

I don't know if it was because she loves Elmos sooooo much that she would do it, or that she finally decided to not be so stubborn.

Some people are adamant that kids should be off a bottle by a year, but trust me since I was there, some can try ANYTHING but it just does not work for a while. They have to have the milk for the fats in it, so do what you have to do so they get that fat for their brains. Good luck!!!

Oh, and now she's in the stage where she'll only drink milk from her sippy cups, no water. The water has to be from my cup!
    Last edited by Sherri H.; January 10th, 2008 at 10:17 AM.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Contragulations Sherri H.!!!

As long as our kids don't want their bottle when they're graduating from high school, who cares? Now, college is a different story!!

My LO is also stubborn I'm afraid he gets that from me. I also tried to put juice in his cup and he looks at me as if I'm crazy. He only wants water. I'll keep trying. He will eventually figure it out.
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian