Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how did you do it...the dreadful sippy cup

Default how did you do it...the dreadful sippy cup

My little one made the successful transition from breast milk to cow's milk. He is 14-months-old and drinks milk from a bottle without any problem. He has never held the bottle on his own. He is a bit lazy that way He will drink water from the sippy without any problem. But I better not even think about giving him milk from a sippy. He will refuse... he'd rather be thirsty. I'm afriad that I'm going to have a 2-year-old still drinking from a bottle.

How did you do it...make your LO drink from the sippy? Tips, please!
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: how did you do it...the dreadful sippy cup

Hmmm.....What kind of sippy are you using? Our difficulties usually laid in just getting my kids to USE the darn sippy at all, no matter what was in it! Have you tried the Nuby cups? They have a silicone top that's very similar to a bottle nipple. That might ease the transition some.

My twins wouldn't take ANY sippies until they were 18 months old, then all of a sudden, they got rid of the bottles and used sippies in one day. Seriously. My youngest would take anything except EBM in a sippy. I never did get him to take breastmilk out of anything except me. Ah, kids--they're quirky, aren't they?

He does use the Nuby. the spouts on the other cups are too hard and he doesn't like them. I just don't get it. If you drink water from it, why not milk? i'm at a loss.

Maybe he just associates the bottle/milk with comfort and security(?)
    Neither of my boys would take bottles (which was a problem of its own!) so I don't have personal experience but I used to work for WIC and this was a common question from parents. We always suggested only offering water in the bottle and the good stuff like milk or diluted juice in a cup. Then at a certain point, we suggested resorting to tough love and just hiding the bottles or getting rid of them altogether so it isn't even a temptation to use one. It sounds so cruel but if he wants something to drink bad enough, he'll drink from the cup.

At 14 months, though, I wouldn't resort to the "tough love" bit - not for a few months. We always told people to shoot for 12 months and then stop with the bottles but you're in transition. At least he uses the cup sometimes. That's a good start! Just build on it by offering yummy things in the cup and not in the bottle.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

One of the things we did with DD around 12 months was only let her use the bottle when she was sitting on our laps at home. If she wanted to play and sip or if we were out and about she had to use a sippy. Eventually her desire for independence won out and she gave up the bottles.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by ielarran View Post
    He does use the Nuby. the spouts on the other cups are too hard and he doesn't like them. I just don't get it. If you drink water from it, why not milk? i'm at a loss.
    I know the gerber ones are similar to the nubby, they look like the playtex but are softer and more flexible like the nubby. Other then that I think the nubbys come with both a nipple and a soft sippy top, maybe give it to him in the nubby with the nipple so he gets used to the nubby cup and then switch over to the sippy top, so the cup part is the same (color, feel ect.) but the top changes . Or you could always try the new straw sippys. They don't leak and use a soft straw, mine is 16 months and she loves hers.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

I say just do what works for him, if its the bottle thats ok...
    He'll give it up when hes ready.
    14 months is very young he still has a very high need to suck!
    And thats normal and ok.

Thanks, moms. Sometimes I need to be reminded that the world wasn't built in a day. He knows so much already. I'll just have to gradually introduce it to him and maybe it will just click.

I don't think it is a problem to let him continue with the bottle until he's ready to give it up. There are lots of 2 yr olds who nurse, so why is the bottle so bad? JMHO...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I had my first two off bottles the night they turned 1yrs old. I used the nuby silicon top and it worked great. To help with using the cup with milk we did would sit and cuddle with the cup. They had to sit in our lap (no laying down) and drink their cup. This still have them the cuddling time they love (we love). In about a month they were sitting on the couch with us and drinking their milk.

We never gave them a choice and never brought the bottles out. I am a firm believer of bottles disappearing at 1yrs old. This is my first bf baby, so we will see how things go. She will be getting her cup in a month and 6months later no breast at least that is my plan. I believe in tough love .

Good luck in your new adventure with your lo.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.