Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is really going on

Default Re: What is really going on

If you're on private insurance or an HMO, talk to your doctor or a LC about getting insurance coverage for the pump. You may be able to file a medical claim that shows the pump is needed to treat your infection.

When my son was born at 30 weeks, he was unable to bf and I needed to pump. I got a prescription for a breast pump from my OB, and my LC submitted a form that described why the pump was a medical necessity. My friend had the same LC and when her daughter had latch problems, she also got reimbursed for her pump. It took a month to get the money back but it was worth it -- we each only paid our $10 copay on a Medela Pump In Style!

Don't feel rude--you should have been me a couple of months ago when dd was on a long nursing strike and dh would come home to find all of us (ds, dd, and me) crying. I was sooo rude to him. I KNOW how tough it is to have bf problems and feel like you are alone.

Our hospital rents pumps for $60 the first month and $40 each month thereafter. I found that out after I'd already bought one. I got dd's pediatrician to fill out a form saying she was not gaining weight due to insufficient supply (actually it was due to her reflux which in turn caused the supply issue, but that's another story). I sent it to the ins. co and they paid for the LC visit, not sure if they'd pay for a pump but it's worth a try like a pp said.

I agree that the Ameda Purely Yours is great. All my friends have Medela but I got Ameda because it was cheaper and I have had no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by leighahh
    yes i do have mastatis i just coukdnt spell it earlier LOL- this is how it has been with pumps for me first before i delivered i bought the evenflo confort select for 75.00 and i used it for 3 days and the motor went out, then i got this avent isis for 75.oo and it is working but the dr told me i need the PIS and it is 300.00 anyhow my husband is mad because i am having to spend so much on pumps that arent working right or that i have to keep changing and doesnt think that if i get the PIS that it wont be long before i have to get another different one.
    i cant blame him but if i could find one for around 75.00 and no more then i would be able to get it but i know that it is impossible for what i can afford.
    I posted this in another thread, but I do want you to know that your pump shouldn't have given out so quickly. PLEASE call the manufacturer and demand a refund.

Maybe with the refund and the money you have now, you could get get a pump that would make things much easier for you.

In the meanwhile, do continue pumping with your Isis, and follow up with manual expression as needed. http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Your doctor said you need a PIS, but the truth is any rental pump (hospital grade) is a good choice, actually a better choice. Maybe you could find one in your price range. Another option is the Ameda Purely Yours. You can often find this pump for 150$ or LESS!

My best suggestion is to focus on getting well (get rid of the mastitis and very sore breast). Then, focus on getting your baby to the breast as frequently as possible. Don't worry if you're having to use the nipple shield to do it (you're using a clear silicone shield, yes?). And lastly, focus on removing as much milk as possible through nursing, pumping, and manual expression.

Remember to rest, eat well, drink plenty of fluids, and take care of YOU. Relax and take things one step at a time. You can do this!

i am going to try and call her today and see if i can get one, thank you all for your help, i am sorry for getting upset with you ladies, i am just so frustrated and its no excuse for being rude.
    thank you
    No worries! I'm glad we are able to help a little.

i called angela she seems great, but the pump is going to cost 165.69 so i am going to wait until friday to do it if my breasts can wait that long.
    I'm glad you called someone! What does the cost include? Does it include a consult?

i guess so because she told me she would talk to me when i get there, and that that is the cost of the pump i am getting friday, have to wait til DH payday.
    but as long as i get it.

When I was BF I got mine from my insurance company it was the medela pump in style and worked just like the hospital grade it was great. I got it for free through the insurance. Another place that was willing to give me one was WIC. You might want to check out those 2 places. My pump was originally about 300.00 and got it for nothing. They are really understanding at WIC too and if you are not going to be using formula they are able to provide pumps. Or maybe your local public health department can help I know they provided me with carseats But not sure about pumps. Try calling MILK MOMS or try going to their website.

it's so hard when you are trying to get information frome people and no one helps! We do care; the other moms are right - if it's medical we are more cautious....but in the future I'll at least try to offeremotional support.

Have you recieved your pump? Mastitis is tough, but you'll be okay. And oter mom's comments are on target - you milk supply will bounce back if you persevere.

Good luck with everything! If you want, feel free to email me directly....I can't promise to be of much help, but am happy to "chat"

(just click on my profile)

ok i had a family emergency and couldnt get the pump friday but am getting it this week and the mastitis is gone i feel so much better, he is latching on but he is frustrated when he gets on because its either going to slow or to fast not sure yet, but he is at least willing to latch and i am still pumping and i think my supply has gone up a little but in the affected breast it is still low so i am pumping after nursing and pumping while he is on the other side as well as pumping 10 minutes after the milk flow stops but what else can i do to get the supply back up on the affected side?

Hey Leighahh -- great news that the mastitis is so much better; I'm glad to hear the antibiotics worked well.

About his frustration at the breast -- is he coming off choking or gagging? When he comes off the breast, is milk sort of gushing or spurting out for a bit? Those are signs of a rapid letdown that he's having trouble keeping up with.

If he's nursing well for a bit and then getting mad and coming off fussy or screaming, then that is more likely a sign that the flow is slower than he would like.

If he's been getting any bottles, then he may have developed a preference for a faster and steadier milk flow. That's just one guess; it may be off base.

The best way to increase supply is to nurse more. If you're trying to increase production on the one side, try offering that breast first at most feedings, and if he nurses both breasts, then offer the low-producing side again at the end.

Also -- one suggestion -- you've got four threads going now with basically the same question in each one. It might be easier for everyone to follow your situation and "converse" clearly if you start a new thread and stick with just that one for a bit. It's no big deal -- just a suggestion for future.

--Rebecca