Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is really going on

Default Re: What is really going on

Quote Originally Posted by leighahh
    all is true except the getting a pump i thought i was getting one but it didnt work and it was used so of course i dont have it and the name of the infection is right and now my supply is going fast i called the lll in my area and left messages and no response i am at the end of my rope and i dont want to give up on BF but i cant find a pump anywhere that i can afford that will work for that is hospital grade.

Just for clarification, do you currently have mastitis?

What kind of pump do you have now? What kind of pump are you looking for? How much would you like to spend on your pump?

In the meanwhile, please do all you can to keep your breasts drained. Offer to nurse your baby frequently. Pump as often as you can. If your pump does not drain your breasts well, follow up with manual expression. A good technique to try is this one by Chele Marmet: http://www.lacationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html This will get you through until you can get a better pump.

These video clips are a good resource, and they may be a help until you can *see* someone about the latch issues.
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=42

yes i do have mastatis i just coukdnt spell it earlier LOL- this is how it has been with pumps for me first before i delivered i bought the evenflo confort select for 75.00 and i used it for 3 days and the motor went out, then i got this avent isis for 75.oo and it is working but the dr told me i need the PIS and it is 300.00 anyhow my husband is mad because i am having to spend so much on pumps that arent working right or that i have to keep changing and doesnt think that if i get the PIS that it wont be long before i have to get another different one.
    i cant blame him but if i could find one for around 75.00 and no more then i would be able to get it but i know that it is impossible for what i can afford.

Hi, I'm sorry you're having problems with breastfeeding.

I wanted to suggest as an alternative to the PIS, the Ameda Purely Yours Pump. It is about $150 including shipping on the Internet. Here's the site where I bought mine:

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/ameda-breastpumps.htm

It is just as good as the PIS. It was recommended to me by my lactation consultant.

Also, if you check around with local lactation consultants or on the internet, you should be able to find the Medela PIS for $200 including shipping.

You might even be able to rent a pump from your local hospital.

I rented a Medela Lactina, a hospital-grade pump, for $75 for a month after the birth of DS in the fall. I rented it from an independent lactation consultant on the northside of Chicago.

Here's her info:

Angela Jacobi RN MN IBCLC
    "Home Care of Newborns & Families"
    Chicago, IL, Phone: 773-274-0643
    IBCLC since 1985, 32 yrs as a maternity nurse, 25 MA in maternity. Medical center, community hospital and home visit experience. Home visits, breast pumps, and scales available.

I believe the actual rental was $50 with a $25 deposit that was returned after I returned the breastpump. Although I didn't end up purchasing a PIS from her, she has an offer where you can apply your deposit to the purchase of a PIS if you want to continue using an electric pump. I just used my Lactina when DS was in the hospital and for a few weeks post-partum then I switched to a manual for my pumping needs.

Also, there are several LLL meetings in the Chicago area as you may have already been informed on another thread. There's one in Lakeview, one on the northwest side, one in Evanston, and one in Wilmette. There may be additional meetings, but those are the ones that I know of.

Congratulations on your little one! And good luck! Hope to see you at an LLL meeting sometime soon...

i am going to try and call her today and see if i can get one, thank you all for your help, i am sorry for getting upset with you ladies, i am just so frustrated and its no excuse for being rude.
    thank you

Oh, hon -- don't worry about it. I think everyone here has been a new mom, and breastfeeding did not come easy at first for a lot of us. We know how stressful and frustrating it can be. I'm just impressed with your persistence.

Good luck connecting with the IBCLC and getting a pump. Let us know how things are going with the latch issues you've been having.

--Rebecca

i called angela she seems great, but the pump is going to cost 165.69 so i am going to wait until friday to do it if my breasts can wait that long.

leighahh,
    I just replied (very very long reply) to your other thread with lots of suggestions re: dealing with lumps, blockages and blebs....
    hope you are hanging in there. PM me if you have any questions about what I wrote in the other thread!
    -Jsmom

Just looked back over your postings. I'm new to this site myself and was in a similar situation to you a few days ago. It felt like I had to wait forever to get a response!
    Anyway, did you go to the docs to check on your mastitis? If it's really bad you will need antibiotics to completely clear it up. I've been on them for 4 dyas now and my problem is gradually getting better. Remember, warm moist compresses or a warm shower will also help in unblocking hte ducts a little. I found the pump essential. I am renting one for 3 months. Not cheap at $165 but it's really helping. I try to get the baby latched onto my "bad breast" as I now call it for 50% of the feeds working up to being back on it full time. If she won't go on, or I miss a feed, I pump to keep the flow going.

Right now I have to feed her, then pump and my husband gives her a top up from a bottle (doctors advice). It's a lot of hassle but it's the only way to get back on track.

Every day I feel like giving up on this whole breastfeeding lark! It's infuriating, and painful, and tiring, but then when I get a good latch and a great feed with her, it feels wonderful!

Keep trying, if I can do it you can too!!!