Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is really going on

Unhappy What is really going on

Ok i have asked 2 serious questions on this site and so far i have not gotten a single answer, i am on this site because kellymom.com referred me but i sont seem to be getting any help is there a special club or time i have to be a member before i can get some help? i know sometimes it may seem that i am stupid with the questions i ask however i am trying to stick with bf so i am sorry i am not to smart on this subject but that is why i am asking.

thank you anyways

JC's MOM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Smile Re: What is really going on

Sorry you feel neglected. I just joined recently but I have not seen your posts. Hope you stay in touch because this really is a great resource for all of us b/f moms. Maybe it is because it is summer time and many of us are taking advantage of the good weather, I know myself I am hardly on the computer. B/f can be very challenging, I hope that things get better for you. I will look out for your posts.

Default Re: What is really going on

leighahh -- it sounds like you are struggling through a really hard time, and I'm sure it didn't feel good to post questions and see them go unanswered for a time.

There is no special club here, and you don't have to be a member to get help. These boards are for mother-to-mother support, and everyone posting is a volunteer. Some days are slower than others, and sometimes it takes a day or two to get a response -- especially if your question is something very specific (where to find a pump in Chicago, for example).

I read your previous posts just now, so let me see if I've got the facts of your situation straight:

You've been diagnosed with an infection inside your breast (mastitis?), and you are taking antibiotics now and beginning to feel better. You have just acquired a pump and want some guidance on how to use it to help get over the infection. Is that right?

--Rebecca

it sometimes takes a lil while before you get a response, mostly cause someone who is knowledgeable on the issue needs to see it, don't worry, it will be addressed *HUGS*
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Please feel free to call a LLL leader anytime! It's the fastest way to get some answers. This forum is a great place to exchange ideas, but when you need help right away, it might not be the best place! Since you're online anyway, look up at the top of your screen and click on Groups/Affiliates and find the leader nearest you. Better yet, jot down the names and numbers of a couple of leaders close to you, in case someone is at the store or something. Any leader can help you set up a pumping regimine. But there needs to be a little back and forth dialogue about your needs, your baby, your pump, etc. That's best done in a live conversation.

Don't lose heart. Most bf problems are solveable! It's great that you're willing to keep reaching out!

all is true except the getting a pump i thought i was getting one but it didnt work and it was used so of course i dont have it and the name of the infection is right and now my supply is going fast i called the lll in my area and left messages and no response i am at the end of my rope and i dont want to give up on BF but i cant find a pump anywhere that i can afford that will work for that is hospital grade.

Lots of us want to help you... If you look on your other thread, someone has posted their email address for you to contact her directly.

Are you continuing to pump with your manual pump? Even if you don't get as much as with an electric pump, it will still help to keep your supply going.

It's great that you're trying so hard to continue breastfeeding. Breastfeeding can definitely be hard work, but it's worth it!! Keep posting with your questions, and we'll be here to support you through this.

Leighahh -- even if your supply drops for a few days, once you get access to a hospital-grade pump, you can bring your supply back up pretty quickly. It's very frustrating to have to navigate so much bureaucracy and encounter delays in getting a good pump -- but it's not the end of breastfeeding if your supply drops. So don't give up on breastfeeding just yet if you want to continue.

Good for you for calling LLL in your area! I'm sorry to hear it's taking some time for the Leader to return your call. If you are in or near Chicago, there must be many Leaders in other parts of town. Go ahead and call several of them, to maximize the chance of getting in touch with someone quickly. Any of them should be able to help you navigate the various programs in town and hopefully help connect you with a good pump.

Did you ask your WIC office about how to get a hospital-grade pump? Or whether they can connect you with a peer counselor? Different counties have different resources through WIC, so I don't know what they will have for you, but it's worth asking -- when the office opens on Monday.

Keep taking the antibiotic for the breast infection -- even if you start to feel better, go ahead and finish all the prescription. Some women end up with a yeast infection (thrush) when they take an antibiotic, so to help prevent that, start eating a lot of plain yogurt (with no sugar!)

Pumping should not be required to overcome mastitis -- just try to nurse on that breast as much as possible, and use moist heat and breast massage to help the milk flow past the inflammation.

So -- do your best tonight with the nursing, and in the morning call some more LLL Leaders in your general area. Hopefully by Monday, you can get your hands on a good pump and turn this thing around. In the meantime, just nurse nurse nurse even if baby is on the breast constantly, rest as much as you can, drink a lot of fluids. Watch baby's diaper output if you are worried about your milk supply. Let us know how you're doing over the next couple of days.

--Rebecca

Don't feel snubbed! Another reason you may not be getting as many responses as you expected is when you have a medical issue often people don't want to weigh in on something they have no experience with/ or no answers for! We don't want to give you wrong information!!!
    If price is an issue for you may rent a breast pump or buy one used. I don't know if you have craigslist where you live but if you do just go babystuff/items and pump in breast pump. You can usually get stuff in your area for a fraction of the retail. You can also try e-bay. Another way to find an electric pump is if you belong to a parents group you can usually find them for sale when people are done. It's hard for me to speak specifically to what's available in Chicago but these are all places I've seen them available in my area. (The Bay Area). I personally have a used breastpump so I feel you on not wanting to plunk down $150 to $250! If you are having a hard time finding a place to rent one, good places to look are small specialty baby/kids stores as well as anywhere that you see cloth diaper stores. I know my cloth diaper service store rents pumps and baby scales. To find cloth diaper outlets in you area use google. Good Luck!

Oh, I'm so sorry that your post did not receive a reply right away. Unfortunately, all message boards tend to be just a tad bit slower in the summer, so replies are sometimes slower to come.

Your questions are important to us. Thank you for your patience.