Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help please

Exclamation need help please

ok i got my double elctric pump and now i would like to know how i am suppose to do this, am i suppose to pump every 2 hours still for the 20 minutes or something different?

Default Re: need help please

I guess that it depends on what you're trying to achieve by pumping. If you're trying to increase your supply, pump for 10 minutes after feedings. If you're trying to build a supply of frozen milk, pump whenever!!! I never have been very good at pumping(I'm a sahm anyway) so I don't have too much advice!!!!

If you are pumping while going back to work, the info here should be helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpfreq.html

Kelly mom's site also has tons of useful info on pumping:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

Like Jenn said, let us know what your goals are for pumping. I'm not going back to work yet, so I just pump occaisionally for 10 minutes to have a few ounces. I then freeze them and DH uses them for the few times I leave the house without my son. If I am gone for more than 2 hours, I make sure to pump while I'm gone to maintain my supply.

Yes, if you are BF and trying to increase your supply, feed baby on the breast and then immediatetly pump for 10-15 mins afterwards. This will let you body know that the "baby" is demanding more milk. If you are pumping to give EBM in a bottle, pump for 10-15 mins every 2 -2.5 hours. Keep pumping another 2 miins after the flow stops and you should get another small let down. If you are pumping for going to work or to freeze, feed baby and either pump after feedings, or choose one time a day (some find mornings best) to pump and store the milk you get. It may take a while to get a good amount. Hope this helps. Can you tell us the purpose for pumping?

Ok, I just read about your infections. Someone who knows more will have to tell you how to use the pump to help....sorry.

i am exclusivly pumping baby is having latching issues and cant get him on without nipple shield which i think caused the infection, i have been on keey mom and they referred me to you guys

the pump i picked up doesnt work so i am back to only one manual.

Leigh,
    Hi -- I just got in on this part about the pump and see that nipple shields have been used b/c of latch problems. Let me say -- I was there! My son is now 13 mo. old and still nursing WELL without the shield for many, many months. YOU CAN DO IT!! Take a breath friend-- I can not speak to the manual pump, we used a double electric pump occasionally as the pros involved suggested that with the shields, it would be more difficult for baby to empty breast -- so I pumped after most feedings for quite some time.

I feel a bit out of place for jumping in like this as I don't know your whole situation -- age of baby, type of infection (was is clogged ducts to mastatis or thrush?). So, that said, here is my only bit of advice for you to chew on... IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, get the help of a lactation consultant professional who can help you and baby get a proper latch without a nipple shield. When I finally buckled down and made getting rid of the shield a priority at 9ish weeks, the latch was fine, baby emptied breasts (which helped huge with the plugged ducts and time involved per feeding), and we were much happier with true skin to skin contact. I KNOW this is difficult, I was told immediately after delivery that I have flat nipples and that we would "have a hard time." So, in my new mommy panic to get DS all the milk he could get, I thought the shield seeeemed like the "safest" way to go to make sure he got a good latch. After the help of the lactation person at our hospital, I was encouraged that he could latch on to my "flatties" without the help of the shield and HE CAN and STILL DOES!

I hope this helps - mostly to encourage you from the other side of getting through where you are. How's it going this morning?

Oh my, what a frustrating situation. Where did you get the electric pump? If it's not working properly, perhaps you can exchange it for one that works.

I saw in your other thread that you have access to formula through WIC. Some WIC programs in different parts of the country can offer some breastfeeding support as well. Can you ask if they can hook you up with a breastfeeding peer counselor? Does the hospital where you gave birth have any lactation consultants? Or use this link to find out how to reach a LLL Leader near you:

http://lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

From what I am reading in your posts, the basic problem is that baby is having a hard time latching well. Working face-to-face with someone who is trained in breastfeeding support can make a big difference with latch problems, so I hope you can find someone to help you in person.

A peer counselor probably will not cost anything, and LLL Leaders will also help you for free. An IBCLC may or may not charge you, depending on what program she works with or whether she runs her own practice.

It sounds to me like you have been doing your research, have gone to some trouble to acquire a pump, and you really want to breastfeed if you can just get the information and support that any new mom needs. We're rooting for you -- keep trying!

--Rebecca

leighahh,

I would love to help you! Would you please share more about your situation?

How old is your baby? Birth weight? Weight now? About how many wet and dirty diapers in 24 hrs?

Tell us about your breastfeeding experience. You mention your baby has trouble latching. Will he feed from the breast at all? Are you receiving local help to get him latched on properly?

What are your nursing goals?