Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water consumption?

Default Water consumption?

Hi, all:

My dd is now almost 11 months and is my sweet, avid nurser. I still nurse her before every meal and before naps and bedtime.

At meals, she eats a good amount of food - I'm a "Super Baby Food" lover...so she's getting wonderful, whole foods for solids. That being said, I only give her water as a beverage with her meals.

We live in Texas where it is soooooo hot here - and I really get nervous about her staying hydrated...

How much water should babies be drinking at this point? Our ped said no more than 6-8 ounces a day - and I'm doing good to get her to drink 4-5 tablespoons from her sippy cup! I can't make her drink water if she doesn't want it...

Any thoughts or helpful info on this is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Water consumption?

Hi,

I think as long as you make water available, she will drink it when she's thirsty. Also, if she makes wet diapers, you probably don't have to worry that she's dehydrated. Since she's nursing, she'll get fluid that way too, plus as you know water is also always a component of food.

Best,
    Jill

Thanks, Jill, for the information! We're on the same page - those were my thoughts, too. It helps to get some confirmation.

Best to you!

Breastmilk is mostly water, so as long as she's nursing well, she probalby doesn't need any extra water at all. Just keep an eye on her wet diapers. If she starts nurisng less, she'll probably need more water.

HTH

Howdy! I grew up in TX (although I live in Chicago now). I remember the prolonged summer heat. My DS is 13 months, and I was thinking about this topic the other day.

DS barely drinks any water. I put drinkable yogurt in a sippy as an experiment the other day, just to see if he really could drink fro ma straw cup, and he definitely could. I guess he just doesn't need a lot of water. I don't offer him juice or milk.

I remember reading somewhere that it is fairly unusual for BFed babies to get dehydrated (think of the desert nomad mommies). On a really hot day the other week, I pumped for the first time in a long time to clear a clogged duct, I was fascinated to see that my breastmilk looked almost clear, like water at first (for about an ounce's worth!)

In the summer, I just make sure to offer the boob a lot. I bring water with me in a sippy, but it's rarely DS's preference.... usually I just offer water at meals. To be honest, one of the benefits of BFing is not having to remember to bring anything to the park with you!
    Last edited by hilde; June 30th, 2006 at 09:59 PM.