Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: excess snot in baby nose interferes with breathing help please

Default excess snot in baby nose interferes with breathing help please

Hello

My little Corrin is sixteen days old and she has had a terrible time with large quantities of snot congesting her nose. I pull them out when I can but they are causing havoc with her breathing, sleeping and feeding time on the breast. She gets the hiccups a lot too which makes it even harder to breathe....

We went to paediatric emerg last week because we were worried, she got a clean bill of health (of course this was the only time she wasn't coughing, growling, snorting and wheezing). As per MD suggestions we have a cool mist vaporizer in the bedroom now and the bassinet has phone books under one end for a bit of an angle. This has helped a bit with the sleeping. She just seems so miserable eating still.....

Any suggestions?

A

Default Re: excess snot in baby nose interferes with breathing help please

This is a long shot but it just came to mind...sometimes dairy consumption can cause excess mucous...I wonder if it is possible that dairy you consume might be causing it? Can someone verify this?

Hi!

Congratulations on your new baby! I have a question for you--when she is congested, does she actually seem to have trouble breathing, or is she just a noisy breather? Newborns tend to have a lot of mucus in their nasal tracts and it takes a while for it to clear out. They can be really noisy breathers. However, if you feel like this more than just typical newborn congestion, go ahead and follow up again with your baby's healthcare provider.

In the meantime, you can try a few things to loosen the secretions. Saline drops can help, as can steam. You can even try putting a few drops of breastmilk in your nose--breastmilk tends to thin out mucus, so it helps sometimes when babies have stuffy noses!

good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Also, in addition to the humidifier, etc., if you use the nasal aspirator to suck out the snot (after putting the saline drops and letting them sit for a few minutes), hold one nostril shut while suctioning out the other. I was amazed how much more snot came out that way than with both nostrils open. The snot still comes back with my little girl, but at least getting lots out at once helped keep her clear longer. That's what we do when our dd has a runny nose, which seems to be once a week, lasting 7 days each time!

After 4 children the absolute BEST remedy I have found is Breastmilk up the nose!!!!!!!! I don't even suction! Also the Breastmilk will put extra white blood cells in her body to help fight her cold if that is the cause.
    Best of luck!!

lol I've never heard of BM up the nose! I'll have to try that one! What works for us is saline drops and also gently wiping the inside of my ds' nose out with a q tip dipped in saline. Also, before bed, if he has a cold, I play with him in the bathroom with a hot shower running to steam up the room before doing the aspiration/ saline drop/ q-tip combo. Hope this helps! Congrats!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by fezzik812
    lol I've never heard of BM up the nose!
    Yep, it's great stuff (as we all know!). You can put it in the eyes, ears, nose, on the skin, etc.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Yes, yes!!

Breastmilk up the nose is a lifesaver!
    I have used it many a time, not only does it seem to be a decongestant, it has all those lovely antibodies in it which surely have to count for something.

I just was told it gets rid of warts too, so I'm going to try it on one which has appeared on my thumb!

Thanks Ladies

We've been doing the salene drops more often and it seems to help.It may just be too dusty in here too, if she's like my side of the family Corrin may have a dust allergy, so we'll be doing more cleaning and less sleeping.... Thanks for all your suggestions.

I was just reading in a breastfeeding book that the La Leche League had helped a captive zoo gorilla learn to nurse her newborn by a human volunteer's example! That's awsome.

Anyhoo the boob is being called for breakfast

A

My oldest got a cold when he was two weeks old. Don't know what I would have done without saline drops and a bulb syringe (asperator).

Funny thing, after that I was afraid to not have them on hand, so I bought extras. Then a few years later after baby two or maybe three, I read a book (Angela's Ashes) where the father sucked the snot out of his babies nose to clean it. I'd always wondered what they did before plastic was invented...