Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting solids how much do i give??

Default starting solids how much do i give??

i just started my 5 month old on rice cerceal about a week ago i started with 1 tablespoon and last night i gave her two tablespoons. she eats twice a day. how much cereal should she be getting at this point? i bf her then wait an hour and give her cereal then i bf her agian

Default Re: starting solids how much do i give??

Does she show signs of being hungry still? Breastmilk should be her first priority, then the solids. So, as long as you are still bfing as often, I would just watch her cues.

I haven't started solids just yet, so I hope another mom chimes in to assist, but that's my thoughts...

That's more than enough for now. A solid meal to start is 1-2 tbs.

Just remember that solids don't take the place of a breastmilk feeding, but instead are extra (for experimentation mostly ).

A 5 month old doesn't need any solids at this point if you don't want to. Like PP said, it's just for experimentation. Don't be afraid to hold off on solids til 6 months.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

The more recent recommendations suggest not to start baby until after 6 mo., when showing signs baby is ready and that cereal isn't even a must. See link for more info if interested
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.