Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: mayo?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SoFL
    Posts
    6,237

    Default mayo?

    this may sound silly, but is it ok for james to have a tiny bit of mayo? he is 13 mo and doesn't have any problems with eggs or dairy. i was going to put a tiny bit of tuna salad on a sandwich with some tomato for lunch. tia!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: mayo?

    I'd check the ingredients on the label and if he's already had all the things in mayo then go ahead.

    I'm pretty sure that mayo doesn't have dairy ... but "real" mayo includes eggs.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SoFL
    Posts
    6,237

    Default Re: mayo?

    cool, thanks! i think i'm gonna try it. he loves eggs, has no probs.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    miles from nowhere
    Posts
    11,084

    Default Re: mayo?

    Nora breaks out when she gets mayo. I think it's the egg whites because they are such high concentration. She usually eats eggs with no problems, though occasionally she'll get a few red spots around her mouth. It's just much more obvious when she eats mayo.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: mayo?

    Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    Nora breaks out when she gets mayo. I think it's the egg whites because they are such high concentration. She usually eats eggs with no problems, though occasionally she'll get a few red spots around her mouth. It's just much more obvious when she eats mayo.
    Oh! As the mom of a food allergy LO this scares me very very much!

    If you SUSPECT that your LO may be allergic to a food PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give them any more of that food and check with your pediatritican and possibly an allergist!

    From what I understand - reactions to food allergens are unpredictable and the next reaction could be serious.

    Also - I've been told that the best chance of helping a LO outgrow a food allergy is to make sure that they have NO exposure to that food (including via breastmilk if still breastfeeding).

    Yes - it is very possible for a LO to not have any allergy symptoms when EBF and have food allergies after they start solids. My DS didn't have any "obvious" food allergy symptoms when he was EBF but reacted to eating solids.

    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,745

    Default Re: mayo?

    Questions RG! C has been having rosy cheeks for a while now. Wasn't so bad at first, but a lot has changed in our lives so I really don't know where to start. He's always had some dry skin but nothing that lotion couldn't fix. At 12 mo he was introduced to cows milk, we switched detergents, used dryer sheets for a short while. He stopped nursing at 14 months, and started being around my dog at my moms A LOT. Now he's got eczema type dry skin (back of legs, arms, and back since about 12-13 mo. He was stuffy and sicky for a while in Dec. AND is cutting molars! I am worried that maybe he is allergic to something in this mess (my money is on the dog). Now that we live with my mom it's gotten much worse. Her house has been cleaned TOP to BOTTOM so dust should not be an issue. He does LAY on the dog through out the day though, they are pals. I just don't know where to start! I obviously don't want him to be allergic to anything, but I also would like to know if he is. We are trying to get out of debt, though cost is no issue in protecting him... I'd prefer not to break the bank with a full blown panel before even figuring out that there is a problem. Help!

    ETA: He was sleeping in fleece suits so we are putting him in only cotton now, and he's slathered in Crisco at night until we can get to the store to buy some recommended lotion. My pedi says a cheap alt. to those lotions is Crisco, so that's what I'm running with. And his checks get red if you dress him warmer... like instantly! Of course he still wearing the clothes with the changed detergent... there is just so much to consider! Ahhh!
    Last edited by ChasingPrisms; January 4th, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: mayo?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    Now he's got eczema type dry skin (back of legs, arms, and back since about 12-13 mo. He was stuffy and sicky for a while in Dec. AND is cutting molars! I am worried that maybe he is allergic to something in this mess (my money is on the dog).
    Disclaimer ... I'm not a doctor ... and don't even play one on the internet

    Sounds alot like allergy symptoms to me ...

    Relief from eczema:
    - daily long soaking bath with no soap (or only use something really mild like Cetaphil or *I think* Dove) - like 15 or 20 min or more
    - pat dry (don't want to rub skin until all the way dry)
    - slather with lotion while skin is moist to seal in the moisture (cremes work better than lotions; we use Cetaphil creme that comes in tub ... pricey but lasts a long time)

    Boy what a hijack from mayo!

    ETA: Can you change to a perfume & dye free detergent and nix the dryer sheets? And would insurnce cover allergy skin prick testing? If he's allergic to the dog I'm not sure what you'd do though.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SoFL
    Posts
    6,237

    Default Re: mayo?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Disclaimer ... I'm not a doctor ... and don't even play one on the internet

    Sounds alot like allergy symptoms to me ...

    Relief from eczema:
    - daily long soaking bath with no soap (or only use something really mild like Cetaphil or *I think* Dove) - like 15 or 20 min or more
    - pat dry (don't want to rub skin until all the way dry)
    - slather with lotion while skin is moist to seal in the moisture (cremes work better than lotions; we use Cetaphil creme that comes in tub ... pricey but lasts a long time)

    Boy what a hijack from mayo!

    james had eczema bad when he was tiny, still a little now. we used cetaphil, too, and it works great! i still use the creme in the tub for myself and my pg belly! poor connor!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    miles from nowhere
    Posts
    11,084

    Default Re: mayo?

    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    james had eczema bad when he was tiny, still a little now. we used cetaphil, too, and it works great! i still use the creme in the tub for myself and my pg belly! poor connor!
    Nora, too. We still don't bathe her with soap and slather her with cetaphil after every bath.

    Iksam, thanks for your advice. It's only been the last few weeks that I've become positive that it was the eggs and not something else she was eating that was causing the reaction, so I stopped giving her eggs until I can ask her doc about it at her 15 mo appt.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: mayo?

    Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    Iksam, thanks for your advice. It's only been the last few weeks that I've become positive that it was the eggs and not something else she was eating that was causing the reaction, so I stopped giving her eggs until I can ask her doc about it at her 15 mo appt.
    Whew! I'm very relieved to hear that!

    You may also want to keep an eye out for avoiding egg in other foods - particularly in baked goods like cookies or muffins. Some breads have egg, but there are many that don't.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •