Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Burping question

Default Burping question

Ok, so I guess on to another question LOL:
    So Wyatt is 7 weeks old. And I CANT for the life of me get him to burp 90% of the time. Then he gets gassy and fussy. So I am trying to solve this problem. I have tried:
    *Holding him on my lap, hand on his chin, burping
    *Over the shoulder burping
    *Having him do like sit ups so to say (as recommended from the pedi) to help move the air around.....then trying both ways of burping
    *Laying him on his belly on my lap patting his back.

So ok.............NOTHING works for this kid!
    Anyone else have any other advice on how I can get him to burp better? I will try for 5 minutes or more and still nothing. But I am hoping to get him to burp and eleviate his discomfort and fussiness. So I am up to hearing it all!
    TIA
    Tosha

Default Re: Burping question

I had the hardest time getting Nora to burp, too. Some of the things I tried were:
    • laying her on her back and bicycling her legs (this was more for pooting)
    • resting her ribs on my collarbone so my shoulder put pressure on her tummy and patting her prett hard
    • laying her across my legs with her head on one thigh and her tummy on the other, then bounce the tummy leg really quickly (my dad did this really well)
    • letting her bounce in one of those doorway jumparoo thingies

It does get easier as they get older and their digestive system matures. Plus once they start moving around more, that moves the gas through as well. I think Nora was about 3 months before she stopped fussing 20 mins after every feed, so if your lo is anything like she was you're almost there!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

For some reason DH can get our lo to burp without any effort, while I seem to be completely useless at it. Lately I've found that if I lay her down & pick her back up again she'll burp. Or if i bend down to pick something up while holding her. Good luck! I'm sure you'll find what works for you soon enough.

I was having this same problem. Couldn't get the burps out for a long time. I figured out he was too excited/hungry by the time I did feed him and he sucked too much air. Now I feed him before he gets ravenous (which for him was the difference of about 2 minutes) and he is burping much, much better. Good luck.

I could never get DS to burp I would have to let hiim lay down for a while then roll him over and put him on my lap and bounce him to get something out.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

No help here!

I had the hardest time with my oldest. Would try for up to 45 mins., with different people taking turns, and doing whatever we could think of, nothing worked!

For some reason, she would immediately burp when one of my friend's husband would hold her. A couple of times, I just drove her over to their house so she could burp, because she was so fussy.

But, oh boy, did she pass gas! Still does!

I am glad (and SORRY) that we are not alone in this. Since I first posted 2 weeks ago, he seems to be getting a BIT better. I have tried some of those things mentioned (waiting to burp for a few, putting down and getting back up etc). We are getting burps maybe 1/2 the time now, so that is an improvement!

LOL that is SO funny that you would drive to a friends how to get him to burp you LO! But I guess as parents we do what works!

your gonna laugh but i tickle my daughters belly on the side and 90 % of the time she burps. or i lay her down for a minute and brinmg her back up