Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drained...

Thumbs down drained...

I have read similiar posts to this one in the past, but I am having a tough day and need to vent. My DD is now 9 weeks old and breastfeeding did not come easy for us. I had to EP when she was 1 week old till she was 3 weeks due to pain from mastitis and then a horrible yeast infection. I think it all resulted from her being tougue tied which I had clipped at 3 weeks. After all that she didn't want the breast, it seemed like she wanted the bottle I persisted and now she will take a bottle but her preference is def the breast. I was so happy she changed her mind and then....it was not just to eat but all DAY AND HALF the evening...she loves to NURSE. She is the queen of comfort nursing. She is very colicky and most days I am happy I have that option...but sometimes....I JUST WANT TO SIT ON MY COMPUTER OR TAKE A SHOWER WITHOUT HER CRYING....which is what she is doing now b/c she wants to nurse (she has been on one or the other since 9am and its 3ish now!!!! I don't know...sometimes it's just hard not to be able to move. I have tried wearing her in diffrent slings but she wants nothing to do with that. I do take her out but I spend alot of time in fitting rooms nursing. IS it going to get easier? Please tell me I will be able to walk around again someday without her attached to me ALL the time. I love nursing but sometimes it is very draining...I am just having one of those days. Thanks

Default Re: drained...

...It's a big adjustment. It does get easier! You've done such an amazing job at persevering so far...hang in there!

You two will work into a groove soon and that colic will be gone in a few more weeks. You can do it!!!! Forget the computer and sleep when the baby sleeps for now. Sleep is your friend. Rest will get you through.

We'll be online waiting for you when you're RESTED!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Yes it will get better. She'll be able to go a little longer here and there and you will be able to plan around the rest. It's gradual. I remember when my dd was very tiny and wanted to nurse, I'd grab the laptop, a book and the remotes to the TV and radio, get settled on the couch and let her at it. She'd hang out like that sleeping on and off for two hours. But when she was wide awake and full, she was often nice enough to lay on the floor and stare at the ceiling fan.

Mornings are often better. After 5, forget about it. Give yourself one goal a day and do it early. Then surrender to baby. This will help you mentally because you'll feel like you did something that day. And eventually you'll be able to two things a day.. and then you'll have a full blown to-do list and miss the days of sitting around nursing all day.

If you need a break when dad or other help is around, they could load the baby into a stroller, carrier or arms and get outside. Colicky (and other) babies often stop fussing when you get them outside and the helper can just walk and walk for a half hour so you can take some time for yourself. Take a nap, eat well or exercise.

It will get easier.

Do you have support?

Thanks for the replys. Yes I have support ..I have a wonderful husband. I just went back to work this weekend. I am an ER nurse and it felt good to be at work again (I love my job). I did miss nursing my LO I am feeling better. I was able to pump at work...which I was concerned about so that was great! I also have a 11 year old with Autism so I think I get stressed here and there with trying to get everything done and make both children are taken care of and getting enough attention from mommy. Thanks again everyone...I appreciate your concern

Hang in there. You're doing GREAT!

HANG IN THERE...

Glad you're feeling better!!!

Boy, do I know how you feel. My LO is doing the same thing (she's 5 weeks) and there are days when I want to strangle my DH because he doesn't have to sit around all day, bound to the house b/c the baby wants to nurse all. the. time. I don't get anything done because my sling still doesn't bring her up quite enough to nurse in it. And when I do nurse her in it, I have to have one hand under her to prop her up those last couple of inches. I have days where I think it's so not worth it to have my house a wreck because I can't clean it or do anything else throughout the day. Just breathe and try to take time to yourself whenever possible. Easier said than done, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty&Gwen's Mommy View Post
    Boy, do I know how you feel. My LO is doing the same thing (she's 5 weeks) and there are days when I want to strangle my DH because he doesn't have to sit around all day, bound to the house b/c the baby wants to nurse all. the. time. I don't get anything done because my sling still doesn't bring her up quite enough to nurse in it. And when I do nurse her in it, I have to have one hand under her to prop her up those last couple of inches. I have days where I think it's so not worth it to have my house a wreck because I can't clean it or do anything else throughout the day. Just breathe and try to take time to yourself whenever possible. Easier said than done, I know.
    I know exactly how you feel. There are days I could just pull my hair out. I am a busy body and nursing all day you just can't do that. I don't want to tell my DH that I am jealous of him sometimes since he gets to go to work LOL. I am now a SAHM and don't want to give that up. It must be those 5 week old babies. I am sure in time things will be sunnier.

I feel the same way. I used to be a manager at a tech company. Gave that up in order to get pregnant because it was too stressful. I have my mom around but my sis had to get pregnant right after me and take her away from me