Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby ate potato!

Default baby ate potato!

Ok, I know I will get beat up for this. But here is what happened- I have been struggling with low supply for several months now. I was able to give about 75% bmilk till 2 weeks ago (baby is 5 mo. 10 days old). Then DS went on a formula strike and strictly started bfeeding. So far so good, right? He seems to be having fewer diapers but I am waiting to see if it is because of a cold we all had just recently. So, yesterday my hubby was holding him and eating dinner. DS starts reaching for the food and he was really going for it. So, DH starts giving him mashed potato and DS starts eating it! I mean he is actually eating it! I told them to stop after a bit and DS was actually mad!

Has anyone had this experience? I will try cooking some sweet potato for him today. Not sure if I need to give him extra water too!

Default Re: baby ate potato!

Isn't it fun when they start eating, and you can see that they like it?

We offer a sippy cup with water with food. Sometimes he drinks it, sometimes not. My belief is that if he's thirsty, he'll drink it, or he'll nurse to get what he needs.

No beatings from me. I don't think it's that big a deal, really. If your lo enjoyed it and didn't have any probs with rashes or tummy ache later, it's probably fine. I know my lo got "tastes" of things long before I officially 'started solids' and she never had any negative reactions. It's good to watch carefully afterward, just in case, and be careful about introducing more than one thing at a time.

My lo always nursed right after eating in the beginning, I assumed it was cause she was thirsty. You might try offering breastmilk after solids to 'wash it down' rather than water. I started giving water with her meals when she was eating regular meals 3x/day rather than just tasting off our plates- probably around 9-10 months.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks!!!