Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle - a few questions.

Default Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle - a few questions.

I know this has been asked before (I couldn't find it, though), but how many mg's of each do I take per day? I also just noticed on the bottle the fenugreek is "fenugreek seed". Is that the same? (I don't recall that before.)

The fenugreek capsules are 610 mg's, and the blessed thistle is 310. The bottle recommends 2 per day, but I seem to remember needing 5000 or 6000 mg's per day for 7 days to get started. That's about 9 pills per day. Does that seem right?

Default Re: Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle - a few questions.

I take 3 pills 3x a day (total of 9 pills- 620 mg / capsule) I think
    I got this # from my LC, but can't remember for sure. Good luck!

That was in reference to Fenugreek- I don't know about the thistle- I drink the Mother's Milk tea.

I took 2-3 3x a day of fenugreek cpsules i jus played w the dose till I got my milk supply up then i quit taking it.

I haven't tried Blessed Thistle, but am using Fenugreek, it is labled as "Fenugreek Seed" I was taking 4 tabs. 4 times a day, that is how much it took for me to smell like maple syrup. Now that my supply is up I have cut down to 3 tabs three times a day, and will try to wean off and see if it makes a difference.

Here is a helpful article I found on it http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

edited to add my LC told me to make sure that the Fenugreek is very fresh, it makes a difference.

I ordered some Fenugreek from www.iherb.com It was only about $4 with shipping. GNC wanted about $7. Where do you all get yours?
    Also, I read that Blessed Thistle is for digestion? Does it help milk supply as well?

The bottle of blessed thistle says it aids in digestion, but it is supposed to help with supply issues as well. It's one of the ingredients in mothers milk tea (along with fenugreek, also).

I took fenugreek in the begining, but not like I am now. I went to the loo tonight (sorry for TMI) but HOLEY cow did it smell like fenugreek! LOL! Not sure I'd say it was very maple syrup-y, but it smelled!

That's what I hear...My brother's wife sort of cycles her fenugreek intake. For instance, when the baby has a growth spurt, she ups it. Otherwise she just takes very little/none. Of course, he's a 16-pound 3-month-old!!! Lots of eating going on. Oh, well...as long as I don't smell like the double-garlic & onion pizza that I loooooove.

i take 3 caps 3 x day of both fen & bles thist