Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie with a question

Question Newbie with a question

Hi Ladies,

I am go glad I found this forum. I have been nursing my 3 month old very successfully up until the last 2 weeks. He's absolutely refusing to nurse on the right side. I've tried changing positions and that doesn't work either. I've been pumping on the right to keep up my milk production on that side but it's really tiring to pump all the time and I'm wondering what my options are. My questions are:

Do you have any suggestions about how I can get him to nurse on both sides and/or what could be causing him to refuse that side?

If I can't get him to nurse on the right, can my left breast produce enough milk to keep him nourished and satisfied so I don't have to keep pumping the right?

Sorry if this is a silly question but I only breastfed my other children until I went back to work after 6 weeks so I've never done it this long before but would like to continue as long as possible since I have the option to stay home with this child. Thank you.

Tia

Default Re: Newbie with a question

- glad you found us too.

First of all, yes - if you had to nurse exclusively on one side - he would be fine and your body would do the right thing. Many moms have successfully nursed babies after mastectomies and other conditions similar.

Having said that... when you say he refuses - what does he do? Can you give a few more details of his behaviour? Does your nipple seem to be inverted or different in anyway on that side he refuses?

Have you tried laying down/side lying?

glad to hear you'd like to continue on this journey! You've come to the right place for some awesome support (and info )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

When I try to nurse him on the right breast he latches on, suckles for a moment and then screams at me. I know that side is producing milk because it's all over his face when he's screaming. I've tried "tricking him" by laying down on my right side but reversing his direction so his feet are at my head and he still won't nurse. I don't see any difference in that nipple than when I started nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by teapot10 View Post
    When I try to nurse him on the right breast he latches on, suckles for a moment and then screams at me. I know that side is producing milk because it's all over his face when he's screaming. I've tried "tricking him" by laying down on my right side but reversing his direction so his feet are at my head and he still won't nurse. I don't see any difference in that nipple than when I started nursing.
    hmmm... there may be an issue of whats called overactive letdown/forceful letdown or MER (Milk ejection reflex). Here's a link with some more info - see if that sounds like the problem.

(this page may also have some helpful things
    Last edited by Number3; January 4th, 2008 at 03:02 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you, I'll definitely read through that and see if it sounds like my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by teapot10 View Post
    Thank you, I'll definitely read through that and see if it sounds like my situation.
    Great - and let us know what you find!

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson