Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning and Drop in Hormones

Default Weaning and Drop in Hormones

Hi, I am thinking about weaning my daughter... however, I am nervous because I deal with panic attacks and I get really bad PMS... I've read that sometimes weaning can make those things worse. I have already resumed my menstrual periods for a few months now already, so I'm wondering if I will still feel a major drop in hormones or if my hormone levels are already lower? Could someone please explain.

Default Re: Weaning and Drop in Hormones

Your levels may have adjusted some already if you are getting your cycles back. how old is your daughter, and what sort of gradual plan did you have?

DD is 9 months... I am planning on bfing until she is 1 year... however, I may let her self-wean...Right now I'm just getting myself prepared either way, kwim? I don't really have a plan yet, just doing the research for when the time comes.

Thats great! Doing research is the work of a thoughtful mama! A gradual process can be started with dropping the least important nursing session, and progressing. So naps and night time might need to be last. Have you done any reading? Here is a LLL article on weaning.

Thanks so much for the advice... we are in the process of weaning right now!!