Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding a 3 week old

Default Breastfeeding a 3 week old

So I made it 3 weeks! Next goal is 6 weeks, but..... Is my little one on schedule be nursing every 2-3 hours and fussing after feedings? I have started giving mylicon drops, but it has not cured the fussiness. Could this be colic or stomach problems? Maybe she is just not getting enough at each feeding? Please help.

Default Re: Breastfeeding a 3 week old

So many questions!!! Aren't new babies fun! - who knew a tiny person could yeild so much thought!

3 weeks is a prime time for a growth spurt. You can read more about that here.

She's most likely getting enough... but you can use this link here to check her diaper output to make better sure. (See this link when she's older than 6 weeks)

Has she regained her birth weight? That's generally a great indication she's getting enough, as well.

You mentioned she was fussy after a feeding... does she have more burps in her tummy?

Here's a link that may prove helpful for you - it talks about fussiness during feedings, and some of the causes - but you may be able to gleen something from it.

This one also talks about fussiness

Good luck - glad you found us. Yay for making your first goal! What an accomplishment
    Last edited by Number3; January 3rd, 2008 at 10:24 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My daughter is also 3 weeks and having the same issue. I've found the most common culprit is gas with her. She'll scream but not root or suck on her hands, so I tried doing "the bicycle" with her and that almost always makes her happy. I lay her on her back and move her legs as if she were riding a bicycle. It helps her pass the gas. Gas drops are pretty much useless against this gas and discomfort, from what I've found with Gwen. Maybe try that, or rubbing her tummy lightly clockwise to get things moving. I'm sure she's sucking down a ton of air, as frequently as she feeds during the day. Nights aren't a problem because she's only eating every 3-4 hours, as opposed to every hour during the day.

my LO is 5 wks and still has the whole scream issue and some times it takes laying her flat on her back for a few and then back up to get the burps out. LOTS of back patting and rubbing as well.... I have used the dropps but only if i know i have eating something that might bother her belly like "chili or tacos" if it bothers my belly in any way i know to give her drops and it seems to lesson the affects on her tummy...
    but thats jst my experiance... dont know if it will help you but good luck with everything and keep reaching for those goals they are so worth it in the end...

Congrats... and like the prev post said 3 weeks in prime time for a growth spurt. But in case the baby does have gas you can do bicycles with her legs. That really helped my lo.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

That was definately a growth spurt for my LO, but gas can always cause tummy trouble. IMO 3 weeks is a little early to try a schedule....but if it was working go with it. the bicycle thing is great....sitting on my kneewhile i bounce and pat his back worked really well also
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

my lo still gets fussy like that when she is gassy, ive found it can help if i keep her upright for 5-10 minutes after a feeding she usually expels the gas on her own if i keep her upright. Congrats on the LO

I remember when Natalie was 3 weeks..she wanted to nurse every hour due to a growth spurt! Natalie was also very VERY fussy that week It was honestly the worst week yet. It does get easier.
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!

Have you tried feeding on demand rather than trying to keep to a schedule? That 'cured' most of my lo's gas problems.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am feeding on demand usually every 1 1/2-3 hours. I tried the bicycle today and it seemed to work, but whether it's successful or not I need to try it a bit more. I've spent extra time burping and have found that has helped. Plus I changed to Gripe Water and found that she is also very gassy. I am working those kinks out and I think the end is insite. however, I still feel she wants to be held and soothed a lot. Is that normal for BF babies?