Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Karo Syrup

Default Karo Syrup

My doctor told me I could give 9 month old DS Karo syrup for constipation. How do I give it to him though? Do I mix it with something? Anyone know how much? She forgot to say, and I forgot to ask.

Default Re: Karo Syrup

this doesn't answer your Q, but wouldn't prunes do the same thing?

I found this on the web:

The Karo Syrup Constipation Relief Mix:

For years, doctors have recommended adding Karo syrup to water for the relief of constipation; and there have been many sighs of relief from anxious parents. Here’s how to prepare “a Karo syrup constipation relief” mix:

Boil a small pot of purified water (preferably in a glass pot to reduce impurities).

Once the water has cooled, add 1 teaspoon of Karo syrup to 4 ounces of the water.

Give about 1 ounce of the Karo syrup drink to the child before regular feeding.

Give another serving later in the day, and twice a day thereafter until the child passes a soft stool.

Most babies will respond promptly to this method.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

thanks! I am giving him prunes right now...the doctor told me to just do it if he is constipated for a couple of days.

I'd be hesitant to feed my baby basically sugar (that's what corn syrup is). I know your doctor recommended it, and I'm NOT a doctor, but I'd go for the dietary fixes first. Just my 2 cents....

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    I'd be hesitant to feed my baby basically sugar (that's what corn syrup is). I know your doctor recommended it, and I'm NOT a doctor, but I'd go for the dietary fixes first. Just my 2 cents....
    Karo syrup seems like a huge jolt of sugar for a tiny baby.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post

lack of poop/time betwen BM's doesn't = consitpation. The way they come out (hard, pellet-like) does. When he poops, is it soft??? if so - hes not comstipated. And if he is I'd use dietary changes to fix the problem - eliminate things that are binding (ie bananas, apples etc) and work with other foods...

Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Contrary to many of the pps, I have used teh karo syrup method. I only used it once and my baby was 6 months old. It worked great-so great she pooped out of her diaper, through her clothes and onto her great-grandmother! I used it when Lilly hadn't pooped in 10 days. I did one tsp syrup in 6-8 oz water. I don't remember which. Put the water in the bottle added syrup and shook to mix. I might have actually put juice mixed with water.
    I don't think a little bit like that will hurt your 9 month old, it didn't hurt my 6 mo old.
    Lilly had always had poop isuues and her poops are so hard they are like balls. The dr now has her on a very mild laxative that I mix with water and give her every other day. It has softened her poops up and she is so much happier. It is called miralax. If pooping is an issue you can mention it to the dr. PM me with any questions.

Good luck.
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

dr sears has a good page on constipation

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

First how do you know lo is constipated? If lo doesn't poop, it doesn't mean they are constipated....

I hate Karo Syrup.... it didn't do a thing for my lo... increasing her fluids (esp milk, she was ff) and decreasing solids helped! Purnes also did the trick!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)