Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have too much foremilk??

Question Do I have too much foremilk??

I have a milk oversupply problem, which leads to a forceful let-down and then gushes of milk when my month-old daughter nurses. While this is understandable at the beginning of a feeding, I notice that towards the middle or end of a feeding, when my breast becomes soft and spongy, the milk is still shooting out like a fountain. Since there seems to be so much of it, is it still the foremilk? Do I have too much foremilk? I tried to nurse my baby on the same breast for more than one feeding and find that after all the feedings, the milk flow is still pretty high. Does this mean that my milk is mostly foremilk? Can I do something to improve the quality of the milk so that my baby gets more of the rich, creamy stuff?

Default Re: Do I have too much foremilk??

you can try expressing milk for a minute or 2 before feedings, to get rid of some of the foremilk.

Default Re: Do I have too much foremilk??

Milk your nipple to see if it is the creamy stuff coming out after you've been feeding a while. My LC told me to nurse on the same side within a four hour period so that each breast was only getting stimulated. My left breast caught on. The right breast only got 10 minutes of attention on two of its consecutive turns, so it was big and hard. I manually pumped 150 "strokes" and haven't had the problem again. My daughter still seems to drown, but it doesn't last as long. The only person that could tell you if you're producing too much foremilk is a doctor or LC. My told me I was because my daughter's stools had green (not mucusy) flecks in it, was nursing every two hours and was irritable. Hope that helps.