Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything I can do for him???

Exclamation Is there anything I can do for him???

My little guy is 6 months old and had his shots yesterday. He is batteling (once again...) fever and diarhea. I've been giving him motrin ever since, but now he woke up late last night with a horrible cold! He is so miserable, having lots of drainage and stuffiness at the same time, and it's making him cough a ton. I'm sure his throat must be hurting because he is hoarse from all the coughing. Is there anything I can do for him? Are all the cold medicines bad or just the ones for cough? I think if the draining would subside the cough would go away anyway... He won't nurse because he can't breath so he just lies in my arms screaming until he falls asleep from exhaustion and he's still hungry. I am in tears watching this hour after hour. He will not take a bottle (never has), and I tried using a sippie cup with the valve out but he will only take a little bit before he screams for me again. Please, any help would be appreciated greatly!

Default Re: Is there anything I can do for him???

I went through the same thing about a month ago. The only thing I could do was drain his nose and feed. When he pulled off to cry I would drain his nose again and then put him back to feed. This was a battle and he hated having his nose drained, but I got enough bm in him so that he could sleep. I know how hard it is to see your LO so miserable, hopefully it won't last too long.

Maybe you could syringe feed him? There isn't a lot you can do unfortunately, just have to let it run its course. Have you tried to see if he responds better to tylenol? hope he feels better soon!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

That sounds like a pretty bad cold. Have you talked to the doctor about it? Maybe you should think hard about the next set of shots if his reaction is this bad....
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

I'm sure the cold's timing is just coincidental to the timing of his shots - though he does always get fever and diarhea with his shots, I still think he is better off having a fever and diarhea for a couple days from shots than being hospitalized with small pox or something even worse knowing I could have prevented it in the first place. My ODS had a cold last week, and since they share the same room, I'm pretty sure it's just a cold, albeit a nasty one probably because he's so young. Just my opinion though... I respect everyone elses opinions greatly.

I have tried using the booger sucker thingy, but it just isn't working at all. The little bit that comes out doens't help him breathe any better

thanks for the help everyone, your opinions are highly valued.

Welli do hope your LO feels better soon! i sometimes can only get a little out of my LO nose also, so i take a warm compress and let it sit for about 3 minutes and then make it warm again adn do it over for about 10 minutes. it does sometimes loosens the boogies a little so they can come out easier. it is worth a shoot!!!!

He will hate it but I reccomend cleaning his nose out with a nasal spray (be sure to get the one for infants that does not have any chemicals or drugs in it). Lay him on his back and squirt the saline in his nosed 2 times on each side. The sit him up and suction it out with a bulb syringe.

For my LO, I would have to place her on the bed, sit facing her with my nesr hers and use my legs to block her arms and legs from thrashing while I did it. It looks absolutely like I am killing her but it was the only way to get her nose cleaned out. Once she was clean she could breath enough to nurse. While nursing, if she would stop for a moment I would spray breastmilk right from the breast into her nose. It really helped keep the nasal passages open and clear.

There is a link on "other uses of breastmilk" but I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Quote Originally Posted by briansgirl0704 View Post
    I'm sure the cold's timing is just coincidental to the timing of his shots - though he does always get fever and diarhea with his shots, I still think he is better off having a fever and diarhea for a couple days from shots than being hospitalized with small pox or something even worse knowing I could have prevented it in the first place. My ODS had a cold last week, and since they share the same room, I'm pretty sure it's just a cold, albeit a nasty one probably because he's so young. Just my opinion though... I respect everyone elses opinions greatly.

I have tried using the booger sucker thingy, but it just isn't working at all. The little bit that comes out doens't help him breathe any better

thanks for the help everyone, your opinions are highly valued.
    Have you thought about delaying the shots? Maybe having one per week, instead of all at the same time? My youngest had a reaction to his first shots, and now we just do one per week, or one every other week.

We are also thinking of getting the MMR later on as well.

I agree with marymud on the saline nasal spray. It is a pain to do but seems to help. Good luck , I know how rough it is to watch them suffer.

We found sleeping in an elevated position helped - my lo slept in her swing. Also, cool mist humidifier. I agree with the bulb syringe - I actually have DH help if he's home - hold her arms down, so I can keep her head still and suck out the snot. I feel like we are torturing her of course, but it works.