Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avacado

Default Re: Avacado

oh, oh, oh.......cannot wait to give ds avacado next week. He turns 6 mo on friday!!!! I know the pedi is going to fuss b/c ds has not put on as much weight as she would like to see. I am hoping the fat in avacado's will help fatten him up!! We are lucky is he is 13 lbs.

You'll have to let us know how he likes it!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

DS LOVED the avacado last night. I don't know how much he ate, he just kept wanting more. I would say he ate a good 2 Tbsp of it. I sent dh out to the store to get more. I am hoping it will help put his weight back on he lost when he was spitting up alot and when he was not nursing well.

Hi Sheila!

Glad he liked it so well!! Does anyone know of a way to store the avocado so that it lasts a while longer? I usually buy a few at the store and have been making guacamole out of all but a fourth of one. I use that portion to mash up for DD. But, it seems to go bad really quickly in the fridge.
    Amber

Keep the stone/pit in whatever part of the avocado you aren't going to use at that sitting. That really will help keep it from going bad. You will still have just a thin layer that has oxidized (turned brown - think 'rusting', but with fruit!) from the exposure to air, but just scrape that bit off and happy eating! Also, store in an airtight container or plastic bag - the smaller/better fitting to the size of the remaining portion the better becuse of less air.... When baby is old enough to tolerate some citrus, a little squeeze of lemon or lime juice on whatever you have separated from the pit and have mashed will help keep the browning to a minimum. I've been really hesitant to introduce citrus, though. Not sure why, but even at 15 months we haven't done it directly (i.e, I consume citrus; DS gets a bit thru milk...).
    -linda
    Last edited by jsmom; July 7th, 2006 at 03:22 PM.

Linda, thank you so much for that information! That will certainly help to eliminate some waste for us! I knew about the lemon trick but am like you, no citrus (especially since DD is just 6.5 months old).
    Amber