Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing the breast- please help.

Default Refusing the breast- please help.

Please help. Our son is 6 months old. He loves to eat and has never refused the breast up until recently. The past 2 weeks he has been so diifficult when it comes to breastfeeding. Sometimes he indicates hunger or tiredness (he is nursed to sleep) so I get out the nursing pillow or just cuddle him on my lap to feed. He waits for letdown then turns away and cries/screams - whilst my boob is spraying half the damn room. He may or may not continue eating. Other times he just cries and turns away when I try to feed him - it's like he sees my boob coming and is rejecting it.

These past 3 days it is getting way worse. Two nights ago he started screaming when I tried to feed him his last drink before bedtime. I might add that he has been fighting sleep like crazy lately to the point of screaming and has been waking up screaming too. He has always been a sleep fighter but not like this.

He has a cold, but we are clearing out his nose as best we can and he seems otherwise fine. He is happy and his usual normal self other than this feeding/sleeping stuff.

Yesterday though, I was at my wits end - every time I attempted to feed him he'd scream bloody murder. If he sees me strap on the nursing pillow he cries. He will take expressed milk in a cup with a spoon - but will NOT use a bottle. The only way I can get him to breastfeed is lying down (rather than on my lap) which he would only do last night before bed.

I tried to offer my breast again while he was sitting in his highchair and he got excited - opened his mouth, reached out for it then turned away with a sad face at the last minute. WTF??

Today again he will only feed laying down - but at least he is feeding. Any ideas?? He also has been trying solids since beginning of December and was liking it them suddenly started refusing everything. We have since re-started him on breastmilk/rice cereal (mostly milk) and are working up from there again.

He may be teething - but already has one tooth and did not have any feeding problems with that tooth.
    Last edited by lilredcat; January 3rd, 2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: Refusing the breast- please help.

ear infection can realy make it hurt to nurse..
    look in his mouth and see if you see any sores, sometimes they will refuse when they have sores in their mouth.
    Both you should call your doctor for.!

How can I tell if it is an ear infection? No sores in his mouth thankfully - just checked. Thanks for the suggestions!

Just wanted to offer you a and let you know that I am going through the same thing. It is so frustrating when he pulls off and my milk sprays everywhere! Wish I could offer you some advice!

your doctor would have to look in.
    my kids normal get the screaming kind where they cry and cry...no ? whats wrong..
    is his snot green from his cold?
    That can be a sign.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081600.asp

Just wanted to pipe in and say that sometimes at this age they are just super-distractible! We went through a similar thing which lasted a long time, but for most it doesn't. You could also check out this link:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

Just an idea in addition to all the other great ones.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!