Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long should i wait?

Default how long should i wait?

i just started my lo on rice cereal about a week ago. how long should i wait before starting fruits and veggies. is there one that i should start her on first?

Default Re: how long should i wait?

How old is she? I think the guideline is to hold off on fruits/veggies until 6 months, especially if there is a history of allergies in the family. If she's 6 months or older, you could probably start trying some. Just give 3-4 days in between anything new so if there are problems you can identify what food is the culprit. It is a common suggestion to start with veggies first since fruits are sweeter. The theory is that baby won't want to try blander foods like veggies if she has already taken to sweet fruits. You could do green beans, peas, sweet potato,etc. If you're doing jars of baby foods just start with the "first foods", not the mixed dinners that have several things mixed together.

I hope that helps!

Kristi

Default Re: how long should i wait?

We waited until 6 months, and tried avocado first, then a week or so later, baby oatmeal. We offered baby-food pears, but he hated them. That was when I decided to really give baby-led solids a go, and it's worked well for us. Some of the other first foods we did were banana, sweet potato, raw pear (peeled). We just cut it into french-fry sized pieces and let him at it. We didn't offer blander foods first necessarily, but we haven't had any trouble with him trying or eating sweet or not-sweet things; one of his favorite things is plain yogurt, which I don't like--it's not sweet enough for my taste lol.