Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!!! What to do?

Exclamation Help!!! What to do?

My DD is 10 months old. She BF about 5 times during the day( including naps) and then at 7 ish for bedtime. We co-sleep. She has always been BF for naps and bed ...nothing else worked. She just got two teeth and I am soo afraid that she will get cavities since she nurses almost all night. Some nights it'll be twice others all night...growth spurts or whatever. I am trying to stop feeding her before naps and rocking with bunny and binkie instead and itr worked yesterday but today she needed the boob so I figured I will feed her as much as she wants during the day so at night she wont nurse. Lastnight she woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep without boob., I gave in and fed her at 1 am she ate at 11 too. She wouldnt go back to sleep so I was up with her until 330 and finally rocked her to sleep. I've read articles about nursing and cavities but I want to know what others do. She is only 10 months and if it weren't for my nervousness about the cavities I'd continue doing what Im doing. She needs the boob and even if I pull my shirt she cries like she needs to put her head on my skin. I feel like I created a bad habit by feeding her everytime she would wake up but I needed to gte some sleep HELP!!!

Default Re: Help!!! What to do?

Is the nursing all night a more recent thing? It may be associated with the teeth she just got. BM has a natural pain reliever (oxytocin? cant remember the name...sorry) And she may be wanting to nurse more b/c she is teething. My son just had 4 molars come through one right after the other, and he went from 3x a night back to 6-10x a night. I know teething is temporary, but it is painful for them. Not sure if that is the cause, but that would be my first guess as to why she wants to nurse more.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Do a search here on the forum with the keywords "dental caries" and a search about "cavities.

I read a link someone posted awhile back(maybe it was even a LLL leader that posted the link?) that talked about breastmilk and cavities, and I want to say that it proved that breastmilk by itself does NOT lead to tooth decay, but that its when breastmilk is combined with other sugars that tooth decay becomes possible.

I myself have a night nurser, even though he's 21 mos., and I don't worry a bit about cavities.

I would just brush your lo's teeth regularly, and never put her down for a nap unless she's had her teeth brushed and her mouth rinsed out before nursing. I would bet that you'll not have any problems with cavities if you do that, assuming that you don't have a genetic history in your immediate family of really bad dental problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevens View Post
    Is the nursing all night a more recent thing? It may be associated with the teeth she just got. BM has a natural pain reliever (oxytocin? cant remember the name...sorry) And she may be wanting to nurse more b/c she is teething. My son just had 4 molars come through one right after the other, and he went from 3x a night back to 6-10x a night. I know teething is temporary, but it is painful for them. Not sure if that is the cause, but that would be my first guess as to why she wants to nurse more.
    Oooh I never thought of that!!!I must say the nursing all night has been somewhat new BUT at the same time she was teething. So she'd awake every 2 hours and become restless so I would just feed her not putting one and one together. Now it makes sense!!!!! She got two bottoms in barely and I am trying to gte her to go back to sleep without nursing but its soo hard and I feel sooo bad!!!Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    Do a search here on the forum with the keywords "dental caries" and a search about "cavities.

I read a link someone posted awhile back(maybe it was even a LLL leader that posted the link?) that talked about breastmilk and cavities, and I want to say that it proved that breastmilk by itself does NOT lead to tooth decay, but that its when breastmilk is combined with other sugars that tooth decay becomes possible.

I myself have a night nurser, even though he's 21 mos., and I don't worry a bit about cavities.

I would just brush your lo's teeth regularly, and never put her down for a nap unless she's had her teeth brushed and her mouth rinsed out before nursing. I would bet that you'll not have any problems with cavities if you do that, assuming that you don't have a genetic history in your immediate family of really bad dental problems.

Thanks you! I did read all those links but still was worried. I hav ebeen brushing after every meal and before naps with a little gum brush. Do you know of any Organic Toothpaste that is safe to use??? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k10driscoll View Post
    Thanks you! I did read all those links but still was worried. I hav ebeen brushing after every meal and before naps with a little gum brush. Do you know of any Organic Toothpaste that is safe to use??? Thanks
    Not organic, but I do know that the orajel toothpaste advertised on tv is fluoride free...or so the little kid in the commercial says, LOL.

You could also probably make a paste of baking soda and water and use that, but I don't know if it would taste bad or if you can even give it to lo's...you might have to check on that one, LOL.