Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problem when started express milk

Default problem when started express milk

my bb is 12 wks old now. I had just started him on express milk today as i;ll be back to work in 1 month.

He is almost 5kg now. He took 3oz, my hubby gave him as he refuse me. He finished within minutes, cry&angry as if he's hungry. (usually he suck very very long eg 1hr/suck to sleep). I then took over & carry him, he fall asleep after a while, then wake up & cry a little. We played with him & he is ok. The feed lasted 2 and half hour b4 he start searching again.

My question now is should i offer him mor ethe next time? And how much should i offer? Is he hungry? Or just the need for comfort?

I'll try to give 2x EBM tomorrow, gradually increase till i start work. I work very long hour about 12 hours unable to direct nurse him.

Anyone have any suggestion?

Default Re: problem when started express milk

My bb is about 13 weeks and can take up to 4 oz. One time in the afternoon he finished 6 oz. But then another time at night (about his last feeding) he only took 3 oz. My LC suggested that you start with 3 oz and then burp him. If he still acts hungry you can try another oz or two. If he ends up spitting a bunch up he overate. She said to put maybe 3 oz in each bottle so you don't waste. It may also depend on what time of day you are feeding him. In the morning, they may take more if baby is sleeping through the night and sometimes less at night.

i gave him 3&half oz tis morning, he cry soon after that. i try to carry/rock/swing him but it won't work, so finally i offer him my breast. he syck for a while & then fall asleep. i m jyst afraid that he just suck 4 comfort. Or is he in real hunger?

I'll offer him 4oz next feed. But my pumping amount is very little, need to pump twice to get 4oz...

Sometimes I have the same problems figuring out if he's hungry or just wants to suck on something. Do you use a pacifier? My LO does not like the paci he prefers his hand. Sometimes when its his nap time I try to help him put his fingers in his mouth and he falls asleep. It sounds like 3.5 oz may not be enough. When I first started pumping, I was not getting enough either. When do you pump? I think in the morning you produce the most milk. When I first started to build up my supply to return to work I would pump 1/2 hour after the first feeding of the day. I would get 2 oz each side if I was lucky. Then, when my husband gave the bottle I would pump during that missed feeding. Eventually, the amount built up. Keep at it. Pumping in the beginning can be difficult... your body has to get used to the pump. Hope that helps.

i tried with 4oz, he managed to finish but he need to b fed every 2 and half hour. Everytime he finished, he'll cry & searching for breast. if i offer him the breast, he'll fall asleep nicely. mayb he still didn't realize he's full bcoz the flow from the bottle is much much faster. I usually heat up 4oz. Should i give 2 oz first & pull out the bottle & burp him & then offer another 2oz or should i give all 4oz all together?

the problem with EBM is i need to heat up the milk. Sometime my bb just cry very very loud while waiting. When we offer him the bottle, he'll cry really loud. Then v have to pull out the bottle & try again later. Then he'll take the bottle.