Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breast pump help

Default breast pump help

does the LL have double electric pumps for rent or sale in chicago i am using a manual and keep getting infections in my breasts

JC's MOM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Wink Re: breast pump help

Went looking for one of your posts. Not sure if LLL would but have you tried your local hospital, sometimes they will rent them out. Also have you tried a local pharmacy or medical supply store? Here in Canada where I live you can rent good hospital grade pumps from some pharmacies for a very reasonable monthly fee. Not sure if that helps.

Default Re: breast pump help

LLL doesn't usually rent or sell breastpumps at the local group level. Your best bet would be to contact an IBCLC or a hospital lactation center near you. If that isn't possible, then a local LLL Leader may know where you can rent or buy a good pump.

--Rebecca

ok thank you i have tried those avenuse and they are too expensive i guess i should just stop breastfeeding and go to formula since i can get it for free from wic, which i also tried but they only have manuals

hi, it sounds like you are having a rough time. I can certainly empathize! Breastfeeding is not always easy at first but it gets better. You may want to reconsider renting a pump. I know it may seem cheaper, but many moms on WIC wind up with less formula a month then their babies eat and still have to buy some (which is definitely not cheap). Also, breatfed babies tend to get sick less often, which is less medical expenses. If you need someone to chat with or just vent to, please email me a jennifer.d.pearson@state.tn.us I hope you can find a solution that will work for you!

Jennifer

leighahh,

Here are the listings for your local LLL Groups:
    http://www.lllusa.org/IL/WebChicagoIL.html

If you don't get a call back from one Leader, you can ALWAYS call another. LLL Leaders are volunteers and are mothers just like you! Sometimes, they have other commitments that take them away from their phone/computer. So, please don't hesitate to call someone else in your local for a quicker response.

You are looking for a rental pump in the Chicago area, yes? You can call 1-800-tellyou to find your nearest Medela rental station. You can also talk to a Medela representative and she may have some tips to help you find a sliding scale (read: cheap!) rental in your area.

You mention you are having trouble with your manual pump and that you are now suffering with mastitis due to poor breast drainage? Have you considered pumping with your manual, THEN hand expressing to be sure you milk ducts are "emptied"? You can learn more about a very effective technique for hand expression here: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Does this information help at all? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Take care! (((hugs)))

ok i am putting him to the right breast and still using the nipple shield it is going fine on that side however with my left breast (the one that has mastits) im not because it is so swallen and it looks deformed
    it looks like the infection is moving toward the nipple and maybe it is just blocking my milk from coming out but he is unable to get a drop of milk out and i cant either i try to manual express to relieve fullness and pump but no milk.
    is it possible its being blocked or that my milk on that side has dried up?

I doubt that it's dry, sometimes it can be a bit hard for the milk to come out from the one that was affected. Does it feel full and hard? Put the baby to that breast first even if you feel like he's not getting nothing, he probably is but just have to work harder, that's the only way you're going to get the milk flowing. As far for pumping or doing the marmet don't worry if you don't get any out, I know I didn't when I had mastitis, sometimes it will take a while to clear out and go back to normal but it does. You usually can feel when you have clogged duct, try to find it and when you put the baby to nurse make sure that the baby's nose is pointing to the lump and put the baby on different positions so you make sure it's getting drain well. Use warm compress on the affected breast before nursing, drink plenty fluids and rest. I know it can be frustrating but it does get better.

This may sound too basic, but have you tried standing with your breasts under a hot running shower, and then trying to hand or manual express? I personally haven't had to deal with a clogged breast, but I know a hot shower is relaxing, and if you can relax, then it may help with the unclogging. Plus, the books/info I have read all say that if you want to dry up your milk, don't stand in a hot shower like that or apply heat, as heat helps the milk come down. A heating pad or hot water bottle may help also. A homemade heating pad that will throw off heat for a good time is to fill a thick sock (or doubled socks) with plain rice (not instant), tying off the end well. Microwave for a minute or two to heat the rice, then apply. Just be real careful the rice doesn't get too hot so that it burns you!

A homemade heating pad that will throw off heat for a good time is to fill a thick sock (or doubled socks) with plain rice (not instant), tying off the end well. Microwave for a minute or two to heat the rice, then apply.
    I never heard that before, it sound like a good idea!