Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - milk supply stopped unexpectedly

Unhappy Help - milk supply stopped unexpectedly

I have breastfeeding my 4 month old since day one, only pumping when I was engorged at about 3 months ago. My son recently began having issues with constipation. So, I tried to pump this evening so that I could add karo syrup to it to help him along a little, but was only able to pump out about 1/4 oz total from both sides. I'm not sure how long my son has not been getting any milk from me so I'm concerned to say the least. Is it normal to stop lactating while still breastfeeding exclusively? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Help - milk supply stopped unexpectedly

Just because you didn't respond to the pump doesn't mean you are not producing milk. Is your lo gaining weight and having good diaper output (wets and dirties)? Maybe you were just not relaxed at the pump and did not get let down - it happens. Unless you see a problem with your lo's weight/thriving, you probably are still lactating and lo is getting what he needs.

Amy

My body doesn't respond to a pump. No letdown - nothing. Even if your body responds well to a pump, it is still less effective at removing milk than baby.

If your LO is having enough wet dipes per day and is gaining weight, your'e fine.

For other readers and posters - a note about Karo syrup:

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=...etail&ref=1953

I'm not sure what his weight gain is exactly, but he's 4 months old and still can't fit into 3 month size pants - his belly is not big enough to hold them up. As for his diapers, he has plenty of wet ones, but is having trouble with dirty ones.

Has he gone to his 4 months well check at ped yet? If not, they will weigh him and you can see how he's gaining. You can also go to ped for check up if you are concerned - provided your ped is BF-friendly. Or, do you have an LC you can consult?

Size doesn't matter. It is okay if he is not in 3 month old pants. I have a 6 1/2 year old who still fits in size 3T clothes, but he is moving right along on his own growth chart. His growth is just right for him in the 15%.

Remember that breast feed babies do not poop every day. Some don't even poop every week. You said he gets lots of wet diapers each day? This probably means that he is getting enough. Does he act hungry or satisfied? Baby will tell you. Seek help if you think something is wrong. But don't assume that what you saw with the pump meant anything.

Thanks for all the advise. He had his 4 month well check up today. He actually lost weight. He was 12 lbs 11 oz at 2 months, and today he was 12 lbs even. The dr. gave me a few suggestions on how to increase my supply. He actually suggested I drink one beer every day! Maybe that works for some, but I'm not comfortable with the alcohol coming out in my milk to my baby. I'm going to try pumping between feedings, and feeding him more often to see if that will increase my supply. Thanks again for all the advise!

Sounds like you are feeling better about it, but definitely remember that your body is not going to respond as well to a pump as it will to your baby. I never could pump much, but my baby got plenty to eat when she nursed.

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Hi,

It's awesome to see how much support you are receiving from the other mamas on this board.

When you say that your baby is constipated, is he actually having hard stools, or is he simply pooping less often than you feel he should be. It is within the range of normal for a breastfed baby your son's age to have only one bm every few days, but when it comes, it should be very big, and not at all hard.

Would your son's doctor be willing to have him in again for another weight check sometime next week? Weight checks can be tricky and problematic. Unless baby is weighed naked, by the same nurse, at the same time of day, on the same scale, calibrated in the same way, the weight may be suspect. How was your son in terms of other growth--length, head circ., meeting developmental milestones? Does your son appear healthy?

Here's some information on alcohol and breastfeeding from Kellymom.com (not an LLLI site): http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...em_f.html#hops

There are more effective ways of increasing your milk supply than beer, such as breast compressions and switch nursing. If you need discriptions of those, I can post them. Also, I am wondering if there might be a hormonal cause for your apparent drop in supply. Have you had your thyroid checked? Is it possible that you are pregnant?

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana