Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning a 2yr old

Default Weaning a 2yr old

My older daughter will be 2 in less than 2 weeks , and I am thinking that it *might* be time to wean her. I'm not sure exactly why I feel this, maybe other people's perceptions?? Anyway she is only nursing once per day after breakfast. That is a limit that I have imposed, she does sometimes ask for 'mummy milk' at other times during the day, but I don't let her. I am tandem nursing my 4 month old as well, and am wondering how the weaning process would work in this situation. If I didn't have my baby as well, I would imagine that I could just nurse when she asked for it, and not when she doesn't (she sometimes doesn't ask). But with the baby as well, I imagine this might be a bit of a problem for my milk supply (my older daughter would just nurse as long as she could, whether there's milk there or not!!). Also, if I just say 'no more', then how will my older daughter handle it, seeing as she'll be reminded of nursing several times per day, seeing her sister bf...?? Any thoughts?

Default Re: Weaning a 2yr old

I would really look at "why" you feel its time - really its nobody's business but you're own how long/how often you nurse your older daughter. Once a day seems like a perfectly good time to spend some one on one, special mommy time with your older daughter - time that is sometimes hard to give when you have other little ones. If you don't know for *sure* that this is the time - give yourself some time to evaluate it - say another 2 weeks, or 4 weeks and then revisit the situation. If you still feel like this is something that would be best for your family you can try some little things to help your daughter. 1) distraction - offer a book, go outside, look at the birds through the window, break out the play-doh, etc.. 2) AVoid the situation or activity that she most associates with nursing (ie. sitting in that big chair, etc) - it may mean standing for a couple of days

Default Re: Weaning a 2yr old

Thanks for your reply.... I am still considering whether or not I want to wean...

If/when I do wean do you think I need to stop completely (since I'm feeding my 4mo as well)? Or can I take a more gradual approach (nurse on a day when she asks and not when she doesn't)?