Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC stressing me about baby's weight gain

Unhappy LC stressing me about baby's weight gain

The hospital where I delivered has a weekly breastfeeding support group. You strip the baby down to a clean diaper and weigh the baby, then feed the baby and weigh again so you can see how much milk the baby got. (My daughter got exactly 2 oz today)

My baby was 6 lbs 7 oz at birth on 10-29-07. Due to some initial latching issues she went down to 5 lbs 12 oz in the hospital. She DID get back up to birth weight by 2 weeks.

Now at 9 weeks she is 8 lbs 13 oz (she was 8 lbs 15 oz after feeding). The LC at the support group said she is not gaining enough. My pediatrician said 1/2 to 1 oz per day is normal.

There have been several weeks where she has gained 6-8 oz per week. This past week she only gained 5. When I do the math and average she seems to be ok. Her 2 month appt is on Monday.

What do you all think? This LC always goes on and on about how cute the "fat" breastfed babies are in the group. My baby is alert, happy, and wets and soils the correct # of diapers.

When I do the math and say 6bs 7 oz from 7 weeks ago to now she is right at an oz a day or a little under.

Please let me know your thoughts. I am worried about my daughter. I am beginning to wonder if this breastfeeding support group is helping me or hurting me.

Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!

Default Re: LC stressing me about baby's weight gain

Not all BF babies are chubby, mine isn't!

Many babies lose weight the first few days, and usually it's because mom recieved IV fluids during labor/delivery.

Since your baby seems happy, I'd say ignore the LC. Only really a cause for concern if baby isn't wetting enough and is losing. She's gaining, and soiling, so you're fine

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

You're LO is absolutely fine! Your doctor is right - 1/2 oz to 1 oz per day is average and normal. There are tons of sources out there that say so, including my trusted Dr. Sears (www.askdrsears.com). It sounds like your baby is content, so just keep doing what you're doing! Also, your LO is going to get different amounts of milk depending on the time of day... she may get 4 oz one feeding and only 2 the next.

By the way, I actually had a low-weight-gain baby at 4 months. She's now gaining weight normally, and by normally, I mean 4-6 oz/week and my LC and doctor are thrilled!

Thank you! This LC is very odd. She told me I needed to get domperidone but she commented that my doctor would not prescribe for fear of being sued.

She calls LLL "nipple nazis" and makes snide comments about Medicaid patients.

I am basically just going there to make some friends with Moms who have babies around the same age as my LO.

My guess is she's not a certified LC, and probably has no business being one

~*Allee*~

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    My guess is she's not a certified LC, and probably has no business being one
    The sad part is that she is certified.

I am going to see if I can find an LLL meeting closer to home. I emailed my local contact this evening.

So she's an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant)? that's scary that she is like that then!

~*Allee*~

Wow. Helping or hurting. I think hurting. She doesn't sound helpful at all. Hurting your confidence in your body's ability is not a good thing. You and your lo are doing great.

I would definitely change groups. Weighing feeding and weighing sure doesn't sound like support to me, more like pressure or competition. I ran into that weight gain is everything from home health nurses who came to my house to do Biliruben checks when LO was a couple weeks old. They constantly commented on how I needed to feed her more often and how they wanted more weight gain. LO is a petit little lady who runs in the 25% for length and 15% for weight and always has. She is lively and healthy and doesn't need to be force fed to make her fit the chart. I am sure your LO is the same way.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

I agree to and at this point your baby is doing well I don't think she would need a weight check..you could ask to skip that part for the next meeting and if the lc freaks out not go back.
    if you realy want to make her mad print this out and give it to her..

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...gSep06p51.html

are you paying for meetings?
    You might have beter luck meeting other moms other places.
    Library is a great place to start. Ours is just great! They have story times for kids from birth to 5. And its all free.