Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old nursing problems

Default 4 month old nursing problems

Hi Everyone,

I am having some trouble nursing my 4 month old! (He is the size of an average 7 month old.) I didn't have any of these problems with my dd, but ds is giving me a run for my money.

First, he is still nursing every 2 hours all day long. Nighttime has become a problem because I am just tired. He has never gone more than 3 hours and I am just getting tired. Co-sleeping isn't working because he continues to refuse to nurse laying down. (And he is a bed hog!) I have tried breast compressions to get some more fat into him, but that hasn't changed anything. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

The second issue that we are having is fussy nursing. It is driving me crazy. Although I complain about him nursing at night, at least he eats and goes to sleep. During the day I just can't calm him down enough to get him to eat like a normal kid. I know that they become distractible now, but this has been going on for awhile. I have tried a dark room and a blanket over us, I have tried music. Any suggestions.

My third problem is him clamping down while nursing. He clamps down and tries to pull off. I always have my hand ready either to break the seal or to push in so he opens his mouth. If I react and say "don't do that" -- he laughs at me!

Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

Default Re: 4 month old nursing problems

Your baby and mine sound very similar! I have a 19.1 lb 4.5 month old and he is a lousy sleeper. He likes to nurse every 2-3 hrs but only for 5-7 minutes each time. I had oald and os issues early on and I think he just got used to the fast supply and doesn't have patience or attention span during the day to nurse longer, and bc of the stressful nursing sessions early on, he doesn't comfort nurse much. He, too like your lo, is a peaceful night nurser though and will go right back to sleep, but with as old as he is and as much girth as he has, I know he could go longer at night. My dd was a big baby and was sleeping 12 hrs at this point. Soooo, all that being said, I am with you and feel for you. Do you think that your baby might be having some of the issues due to your supply and/or let down? It just sounds similar to my guy. I unfortunately don't have any answers for you but will be watching for some! Post back to me if you make any progress!

Erin

Default Re: 4 month old nursing problems

OMG -- I think that we are the same person! You described my days/nights exaclty. Even the oald and os AND my dd was a large baby and was sleeping 12hrs at this point also. (Oh how I long for the 6-6 again!)

I had no supply issues with DD, but I am a little concerned now because of the clamping and pulling. It seems like he is milking. However, since ds is a giant, it is hard to know if he is getting enough or not. ITA when you say that you "know" that your lo can go longer --- I think that is why I am so frustrated.

Thanks so much for your post -- knowing that your're not alone makes all the difference! I really appreciate it!