Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help- Not Taking the bottle

Default Help- Not Taking the bottle

My husband is still trying to give my 7 week old daughter a bottle. She took an ounce from it for the first time last Thursday and hasn't done it again since (he didn't offer on the weekend though). I'm starting to get really scared that she will never take it again. I don't go back to work until August, and I know there are other options besides bottles, but I would really feel more comfortable about working again if she would just take the stupid thing.

To top it off, he tells me last night-as I'm freaking out- "Don't worry, when you aren't here she'll take the bottle because she has to in order to eat". When I tried to explain to him that that isn't necessarily true, he didn't believe me. Then he told me to try and get her to take the pacifier (I've tried in the past and she looked at me like I was nuts putting that thing in her mouth) because that would obviously help her take a bottle. Why did I marry a scientist (everything that seems to make sense to him, must make sense to a 7 week old).

Now that I'm done whining, I need help.
    - Has anyone's baby ever done this-take the bottle one day and then forget how to use it? My husband says she will let him put it in her mouth but she chews on in instead of sucking on it like she did Thursday. As a result, most of the milk that comes out of the bottle runs out her mouth instead of her swallowing it.

- Could the nipple/bottle be the problem? She did suck on it to get the milk out last time. I would hate to spend more money on different bottles if she will eventually like these.

- Am I crazy for being so worried about this?

- My daughter is also still having problems with latching and her tongue (LC thought bottle would help with this). Anyway, I'm in the process of deciding if I want to take the LC advice and use a nipple shield or not. If I chose to use one to help her with latching problems, would using the "fake" nipple while BFing make the transition to the bottle easier for her?

Default Re: Help- Not Taking the bottle

Alot can change in a month - just because your baby won't take a bottle now doesn't mean she won't take one in a month.

When he's giving her the bottle, are you still in the room, or in the house? She may be refusing it because she knows that you're available. Once you're not an option, she may be more open to taking the bottle.

The person feeding her the bottle should be offering it before she's screaming with hunger, try to catch her when she's just starting to show signs of hunger. Play with positions of holding her, holding the bottle, and holding your clothing while feeding her. Make sure the milk in the bottle isn't too warm or too hot - some babies are really picky about temperature.

If you decide to start using a nipple shield, it may make taking the bottle easier, because they are a more similar shape and texture. You could also be throwing one more thing at her, which will only confuse her more. Is there a way you can get a second opinion on the tongue issues and nipple shields?

If she won't take a pacifier, don't make her. Although the shape is similar to a bottle, it's very different, because no milk comes out of it. However, if she will take a pacifier, but not a bottle, you can get one of those pacifiers made for giving medicine, and use that to fool her into eating. Fill it with milk.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

If your dh is a scientist, get him to read some good books on the benifits of ebm, even a bunch of pages on this site.

it can really help to have someone who fully supports you in breastfeeding.
    I know how tough it can be, especially if you need to go back to work.
    if your dd really doesnt want the bottle, then she might be right. try a sippy cup, many mothers use them instead of bottles.

You may want to just try a different type of nipple. DS wouldn't take anything but a platex. He wanted nothing to do with the fancy expensive ones.!
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

DH is supportive of BFing, I just don't think he understands how smart DD is
    When he feeds her, I am out of the room (usually at least 5 minutes before). He sits her in the swing and warms up the nipple of the bottle. She will take it in her mouth but doesn't suck on it. Any tricks to get her to suck to get the milk out? I have a very heavy letdown and oversupply, so she doesn't usually have to suck all that much when nursing (which is one reason the LC I saw thought that a bottle might help with latch). I have been using the playtex bottles with the dropin bags (I think the nipples are naturlatch-stage 1). Should I try stage 2 so it's more like my milk that shoots in her mouth and then wean her back to stage 1? Also, I have very small nipples. Are there any brands of nipple that aren't so long and thick?

You probably don't want to spend a bunch of money trying different bottles and nipples, but I just saw the coolest thing on another thread. Look at these!
    http://www.adiri.com/main/index.php
    I've never seen anything like it...wish I had invented it myself!
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

trying different nipples might help.
    and it doesnt hurt to try.
    i looked at the page the pp sent, they do look pretty cool.
    I'm really glad to hear you have a supportive dh, and sorry to hear you have a smart dd - Ive got one too, I know how much trouble they can be

I posted the website for the breastbottle nurser on the kellymom website and someone said they used it and it was horribly messy and didn't work at all. Another post said she'd heard the same thing.

About trying different nipples:
    I have quite a few playtex dropin nurser bottles that have already been sterilized (I wasn't aware that babies can be picky about nipples). Is it possible to get different nipples that will fit the bottles I already have so I don't end up throwing all that money down the drain?

Answering several different questions here:

Some breastfed babies really really don't like the playtex bottle nipples. There are other bottle nipples that will fit in them, so all you need to do is buy the bottle nipples, not a whole new set of bottles.

If baby is used to a strong letdown, you could try using a sippy cup without a valve. Use it carefully so you don't flood her, but this could be an option.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon
    Answering several different questions here:

If baby is used to a strong letdown, you could try using a sippy cup without a valve. Use it carefully so you don't flood her, but this could be an option.
    Just a regular sippy cup?