Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: exclusive pumping

Default exclusive pumping

I have a 3 week old baby boy who I have been expressing breastmilk for since we left the hospital. I would really like to breastfeed but he screams like he is being tortured everytime I try. I am really concerned about the amount I should be feeding him. My pediatricians office just doesnt give me a straight answer. I have been feeding him about 2.5 oz every 2.5-3 hours. Much of the time he acts like he is still hungry right after he is done or he will wake up after 1.5-2 hours and be rooting around again. The doctor said I should feed him 2 oz every 3 hrs. But that just doesnt seem like enough for him. However I dont want to overfeed him either. can anyone help?

Default Re: exclusive pumping

At 3 weeks old, our baby girl was drinking 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 ounces of EBM every 2 hours around the clock and I was pumping every 2 hours to build up my supply. Hope that helps.

Default Re: exclusive pumping

At 3 wks. my daughter was taking in 2.5 to 3 ozs of EBM and breastfeed every 2 hours faithfully. My SIL has a son that is 2 wks. older than mine and my nephew did the same.