Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wont Eat!!!

Default Wont Eat!!!

So we started with oatmeal about a week and half before lo turned 6mo. She had that for about 2 weeks and then I introduced organic carrots. She hated them!! We tried again the next day and she would not eat them. I tried to give her oatmeal would not eat it. Then tried bananas would not eat them. She closes her lips tight and wont eat a thing. She loved her oatmeal before we tried carrots. Now I think she is associating the carrots with all solids. What can I do? She is definitely ready for solids and loved oatmeal. She ate it from day one with out spitting any out!! Now nothing
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

Default Re: Wont Eat!!!

My suggestion is to wait a couple of days or a week and then try solids again.

If you get her telling you she isn't interested (head pulling away, closed mouth) then don't force her to eat.

And perhaps try letting her self feed. If she decides what she wants to eat and how much she may be happier.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    My suggestion is to wait a couple of days or a week and then try solids again.

If you get her telling you she isn't interested (head pulling away, closed mouth) then don't force her to eat.

And perhaps try letting her self feed. If she decides what she wants to eat and how much she may be happier.
    I agree. Because sh'es ready to put things in her mouth doesn't necessarily mean she's "ready" for solids
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Just wanted to add that not all babies love being fed by spoon, either. My son hated it, so we stopped trying to spoon feed solids, and let him feed himself around 7-8 months old. Kiddos pretty much all will eat, if given time! Try not to sweat it.

Logan is doing the exact same thing still at 7 months. I'm trying to be patient, not force it, and offer him just a bit each day and hope he decides to go for it!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I know it's hard - but be patient! Your LO will eat when he/she is ready.

There are lots and lots of mamas here whose LO didn't start eating until 8 or 9 mo.

We did baby led solids - and DS didn't really eat more than a nibble until he was about 8.5 mo old. I was getting tons of pressure from the grandmas and from day care providers about what they thought DS "should" be eating and how much. I just dug in my heels and let everyone know that DS would eat when he was ready and not a moment before then.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My daughter refused to be spoon fed. She wanted to do it all herself. So, we cut up Avocados into the smallest pieces for her and let her do it herself.

Don't worry about it, though...it's a phase and it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean that she'll be like this forever.

Thanks ladies!! The frustrating part is that she was eating her oatmeal just fine. She loved it from day one!! It was when I started to introduce the other things that she started refusing everything. Guess time will tell
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

My daughter is now 12 months old and just started self-feeding cheerios this week. She absolutely refuses the spoon. I bought the La Leche league book "my child won't eat" and it helped a lot (mostly it convinced me not to worry and just take all the pressure off of her). She'll eat what she needs to, my job is to make sure the food is there when she wants it. Good luck and don't stress.