Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems with latching

Default Problems with latching

Hello all. I am new to this forum and I am glad I found it and I am hoping that I can get some advice.
    I am currently breastfeeding my 3rd child, Wyatt. I breastfed his old brother Noah for 1 year. This time around I am having some more difficulties. Wyatt is 7 weeks old tomorrow. Right now my nipples are red and sore and cracked, and even dry and flaky looking. They have been like this for a couple of weeks and I am almost certain that the majority of my problem lays in him latching on. I just cant get him to really open his mouth wide, so I know that he isnt taking in enough of my areola. Any advice on how to get my little man to open wide? Also, could there be another underlying issue that I am missing? I did treat us for thrush, but I really dont think that was the issue. He didnt have sores in his mouth, but his tongue was white all over, rather than just near the back.
    I should also add, that he was in the hospital for RSV and was on antibiotics for 48 hrs straight. Every since we got home he has been so fussy. I am just not sure what is going on. Now he is eating NON stop, this is a growth spurt right? He is about that age I think.
    Another quick question.......I think that I am getting more stressed this time around. I think the main reason is that Noah is 2-1/2 and when I breastfed him his older sister was 7 and less demanding than he is now. Any tips on how I can balance all of this?
    WHEW. OK thanks!
    Tosha

Default Re: Problems with latching

Congrats on the new arrival, im by far not an expert but when i was having latch issues i was told to position LO where my nipple is point at her nose holding her close to my body, thats what finally worked for us, and the stress part im with you and can only offer a i have a 2 1/2 yr old and a now 4 month old, it was super stressful at first, it has slowly gotten better i just had to learn to get my son interested in an activity before i sat down to nurse , or get a book out to read while i was nursing, or turn his fav cartoons on, anyways im rambling good luck~

Thank you for replying to my post and for the hugs!
    I have been trying to put my nipple in his mouth, facing the roof of his mouth. I think that the main problem am having is that he wont open his mouth wide enough and when I do go to insert, he closes his mouth rather quickly. So then he is just getting my nipple, and not alot of my areola. I just cant seem to figure out how to get him to open wide and be patient for 2 seconds LOL.
    Thank you so much. I look forward to ANY and ALL advice I can get!
    Tosha

Have your nipples been sore the whole time you have been nursing or is this something new? What you describe about your nipples and the fact that you lo was on antibiotics makes me wonder if it is thrush you are dealing with. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html

My nipples have been somewhat sore and red, but bearable as we are trying to fix the latching problem. But they have gotten MUCH worse in the past week, and it was 1 week ago that Wyatt was admitted into the hospital. I thought the thrush thing too, so we did a round of Gentian Violet and Wyatt is just looking a bit like the Purple People eater. My nipples seemed to have healed a bit, but are still red and sore, and one is a bit cracked. Wyatt never showed alot of thrush in his mouth, expect his tongue was whiter than normal. He never has sores on the insides of his cheeks etc. But I thought the thrush thing too, so I went ahead and treated us for it. I only did the GV treatment for 2 nights though, since I knew it wasnt really bad, if even there to start with. Maybe I should have done it longer?
    TIA
    Tosha

another note.........
    Wyatt has been having a pretty bad diaper rash too. I guess I thought it was just from the meds that he was on. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This is about using gentian violet. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html With the cracks, it might also be possible that you have a bacterial infection along with thrush. Might be worth getting checked out.

My grandson just got diagnosed with tongue-tie, or a short frenum. It has prevented him from latching on properly, or staying latched on for more than a few seconds. It also affects how he sucks, and it causes very sore nipples. You might want to research this for yourself and see if it applies to your baby. It's pretty easy to fix. My grandson was diagnosed by a lactation consultant, not his pediatrician. He's 1 week old today.

Thank you for that thought. I am sorry to hear about your Grandson. I am sure that is tough.I will research that more and see if it may apply to Wyatt. The biggest thing with his latch is that he just wont open his mouth wide enough, he does for the most part stay latched on though.
    Thanks again
    Tosha

Thank you for the link! I appreciate it!

Tosha