Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long should BF sessions go?

Default How long should BF sessions go?

My LO is 2 1/2 months old. I nurse him on both sides each time he nurses (unless he's really asleep or something) & he'll generally nurse for 30-45 minutes on each side (so a total of about an hour & a half). I'm at home all day with him so I don't really mind it & there are times that it's shorter, but is there any problem with letting him nurse that long? He is generally hungry again about 2 hours after he finishes, but he'll go about 6 hours at night. He's pretty actively nursing for the first 20 minutes or so, & then usually dozes & he'll continue sucking & just swallow occasionally. Sometimes he wakes up & starts actively nursing again. Should I be taking him off when he dozes? He's a pretty fussy/colicky baby & nursing is often the only thing that comforts him. How long should he be nursing for? Is there any harm in letting him stay on that long?
    Thanks!

Default Re: How long should BF sessions go?

Whoah that is a LONG time to nurse! Good for you!! If your nipples are getting sore or uncomfortable you could try and unlatch when the active nursing is over and see how that goes. However, as long as you are both enjoying it and feel comfortable there is no reason why you can't nurse for as long as you can. Babies, especially fussy ones, may really need that comfort sucking and you are a wonderful momma for providing that to your LO.

My own DS is a fast nurser. At 7 months he nurses for about 5-10 minutes on one side then is ready to go play again. When he's teething badly he may want to comfort suck and I don't mind.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

It's really good for your supply when he nurses like that, also good for bonding and security. If it doesn't bother you, don't change it, imo.

I agree with pp. If it isn't bothering you to nurse that long, I'd say keep doing it. It's good for the bonding and it comforts them. My LO is a quick nurser. At 3 months old he nurses on 1 side per feeding for about 4-10 minutes.
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

My DD did that at the same age as you LO. I thought I was never going to get anything done again, but as with everything, that changed. About at 4 months she suddenly became a quick nurser, 5 -8 minutes on one side and doesn't even want the other. She wants to play and look around. Chances are that is going to happen with you and your LO. Enjoy the long relaxing nursing while you can........they grow so fast

Both of my son's (8yo) and 5mth was and is long nursers and very, very big comfort nursers. So as all the pp's said if it's alright with you then it's definitley alright with your LO.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Sounds like you're doing great to me! If you want to try unlatching him when he dozes you might get away with it, and if he wakes up fussing you can always just pop him back on. It won't harm anything to let him stay latched, though (unless it's irritating your nipples).

My lo was a looooong nurser too in the beginning, but around 5-6 months started nursing much faster. I guess she had other things she needed to do after she was done eating . She still does it when she's very sleepy or not feeling well, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My daughter is 9 weeks and is a SLOOWWW nurser. Every once in a while she will shock me with a quick 5-10 minute session..but most of the time it is exactly like what you stated in your first post..fast and first and then it slows down. She usually nurses 40 minutes.

It is ok because I am a SAHM but I do feel like I nurse ALL DAY LONG. Plus at family functions I get comments like, "Natalie isn't finished YET??" I am like, "No."
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!