Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I have a used pump question...

Question I have a used pump question...

I read the previous thread where someone was asking about using a used pump, and the article that was posted.

So how *does* one properly sterilize a used pump? I have 2 pumps that I wish to donate to a crisis pregnancy center and would like to make sure they are as clean as possible.

Thanks
    fyrfly

Default Re: I have a used pump question...

I think the concern is that they cannot be fully sterilized. You can clean/sterilize or replace the collection kits but these type of pumps are "open systems" and there is no way to clean the whole pump.
    Here's a couple of other articles (non-LLL) that help to explain why.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b...umps.html#used
    Perhaps there is another way you can help out this organization, other than donating used pumps?

Mary

Is the pump a closed system (like the Ameda purely yours)? If so, you could get away with donating the pump with a new kit (breast shields and tubing).

If your pumps are NOT closed systems, then it probably wouldn't be helpful to donate them (they'd probably be thrown away).

So nice of you to offer, though!

I used an Ameda Purely Yours for about a year that is now nearly 4 yrs old. I have also been reluctant to just throw it away, but I wouldn't have wanted to use a used pump. However, I'm sure someone would value it. How do you know it's a closed system? (I took good care of it and still have the operating manual). Where can I purchase the new membranes and bottles to go with it if I find someone who's interested? Or is it just too out of date to use? Tia

Nope it's not to old that's the kind of pump I have and it was passed to me after three other kids (all same mother) and it still works. You can go to the Ameda website and they literally sell everything for it! Right down to the disks that go into the bottle when the nipple isn't there!THere's a lot of talk about pumps not being able to be shared, but isn't that what happens when we rent one from somewhere? Where I live people sell used pumps all the time. Through parents groups, craigs list and e-bay. I have a very hard time believing that if you donated that pump someone wouldn't use it. Maybe if you have a friend having a baby start there. That's how I got mine. ANd my friend felt just like you! She didn't charge me for it but she was glad that someone else could use it! And I asked about the sharing concern but she broke it down like if we replace the tubing, membranes, and little ducts, how could it possibly be contaminated? I couldn't see how and I couldn't afford to look a gift like that in the mouth! I'm glad I didn't! It's been a great gift to have!

Maybe this article (non-LLL) will help explain things...
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml
    It lists which pumps are considered single user and which are considered safe for multiple users. At the bottom of the article are statments from some of the manufacturers as well.

Here's the LLL article on the topic.
    Are Used Breast Pumps a Good Option? Issues to Consider

Mary