Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jar food versus homemade??

Default Jar food versus homemade??

I have been buying organic jar baby food from Wholefoods and I am wondering if there are any health benefits to making it myself? I thought I'd go with jars till she decides to eat more than 3 bites of anything but I am thinking of making some food too. It seems like the jar baby food is good, nothing added, all organic, etc. What do you all think?
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Jar food versus homemade??

I think if you can skip the jarred and just make it yourself then you can really guarantee what's in it - and that is a great benefit!

We did a baby-led solids approach and I couldn't be happier with it. You can use the search function for BLS solids - baby led solids and find lots of helpful info on this board, alone!

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

[QUOTE=Number3;395941]I think if you can skip the jarred and just make it yourself then you can really guarantee what's in it - and that is a great benefit!
    /QUOTE]

This is why I decided to make my food. I am assured that the only things going into it are what I put into it.
    That being said, if I had to use a jarred food, the only kind I would use is the organic sort.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I used to hate cooking (and laundry ) but I sincerely enjoy making Christopher's baby food. The taste is better than the jar stuff (we have some hanging around people gave me that I use occassionally), which I'm assuming is because its not processed like the jar stuff. I read they have to really heat the jar stuff up to kill germs prior to storage, a taste of them and I can tell the difference. That said, I don't think jarred food is BAD for lo, they don't put perservatives in them or salt, etc., but I like homemade a lot. I make enough for several days at one time, its not hard at all.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

I made DS babyfood and I hate being in the kitchen. I bought this book (www.superbabyfood.com) and it really helped. It goes a bit farther than I care to go with it but I like how it tells what foods are appropriate for the age and such.

Making your own babyfood is so much cheaper than buying it in a jar and it tastes so much better too.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

I am a big fan of making my daughter her food. I know what goes into it, it's a lot cheaper, plus my daughter likes the taste better than the jarred food we've tried. If I see something that I don't know how to make or get (like guava) then I'll buy a jar/container of it to see if she'll like it. I try to buy the organic fruits and veggies to make her food. Organic meats are a little bit harder for us to get though. I do buy the barley and oatmeal baby cereals for her though.

I like using the ice cube method to freeze her food and just thaw 1 or 2 cubes of each fruit or veggie as needed each day, that way I'm not wasting as much if she doesn't eat it all. HTH!

If you use the ice cube tray method, isn't the food uncovered and gets freezer burned/taste gets affected? I've never tried that.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Ok so my lo just eat what we eat. I fix food with no seasoning, take him out a small portion then add it for the rest of the family. Last night he ate green beens. He seems to like eat "real" food instead of baby food.

I mash my own bananas and sweet potatoes. He also like black eye peas. I just make sure he gets small tiny sizes so no choking....
    I am going to try frozen fruit this weekend, I hear it's good for teething
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyChristopher View Post
    If you use the ice cube tray method, isn't the food uncovered and gets freezer burned/taste gets affected? I've never tried that.
    I wrap the tray really well with saran wrap/plastic wrap (if the plastic isn't ripped I wipe it off, stick back in the freezer, and reuse for the next time I make her food). There's a brand out there that you can "press & seal" but I haven't tried it yet. Once the food has hardened overnight, I then transfer the ices to a freezer bag and try to remove as much of the air as I can using a straw to suck the air out. Or they have that handy-dandy Reynolds freezer bags that you can suck the air out with a special vacuum.

I haven't noticed any problems so far. HTH!

Baby Gurl your the bomb! I need to eat with you!