Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood in Stools, please help

Default Blood in Stools, please help

I have a 7 week old who started having blood in her stools at 4 weeks. Took her in due to how much blood was in her stools. The dr. said it looked like a milk allergy and to take dairy out of my diet. I did that and it has been 23 days without dairy expect for one day when I ate left overs that had a buillion cude in the dish and those contain dairy, didn't know about that until the next day. Here we are 23 days later with blood still in her stools. It has gotten a whole lot better since the 1st diapers with blood. She can have 2 or 3 diapers without blood then the rest will have blood. My question is should I take wheat out of my diet too or should I go back to the doctor. She is cranky all the time, but has gotten better with the dairy out of my diet. We are trying to find probiotic drop or powder in the town we live, but haven't had much luck. My husband is trying one last palce before we order the drops on line. We are hoping maybe that will help her. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice. I am at my wits end and about to give up on this breastfeeding. Plus I don't want what happened to my son to happen to my daughter. We think that he was allergic to milk or other things and didn't know about it and he ended up in the hospital at 7 1/2 months weighing 12 pounds and having to be tube fed. He stopped gaing weight and started losing arond 5 months. She is going down the same path it seems. I don't want to give up breastfeeding since I have nursed the other 3 until they were 12 months old even my son who everyone told me to do formula. Thank goodness he wouldn't take a bottle.
    Thanks,
    Maggie

Default Re: Blood in Stools, please help

is it streaks of blood or what?
    Is she healthy and happy otherwise? Does she have any reflux issues?Whats her weight pattern been thus far?

Often times, even with blood in the stools, one can just 'ride it out' so to speak and baby is healthy and fine w/o any other invasive treatments.

(applause for your doc for not suggestiing formula right away )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Most times it is streaks of blood now, but other times it is coated in with her BM so the BM look like an orange color. She is healthy otherwise, gaining weight with no problem. She is 11 pounds now, I think. Birth weight was 8.3.

When you say it's coated in the bm and makes it orange, are you certain it's not just that the bm is orange? That is a color that is typical/normal is babes.

Here's a nice quote from a page (here) many find helpful
    In summary, stools in breastfeeding babies are predictably green, brown, yellow or orange. It is runny and has curds almost every time. It changes color with viruses, may have a small amount of blood (call your doc) and may come once a day and even taper off to once a week or more after a few weeks of age. Formula feeding babies may show a little trickier set of changes involving constipation and diarrhea. This is just one small reason to strongly recommend and support breastfeeding your baby.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yea, I am certain it isn't just orange. I can see the darker color red in some areas when the BM is orange. Some of the diapers that are orange might not have blood in them, but I know some do. Hopefully soon I can figure this out. Thanks.

well - it has been said often in these parts (since many of us have been right where you are ) that if baby is happy and thriving - to just remain watchful.

Sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

You may also be able to find some addition support in the allergy forums found here

Any info regarding possible reflux? You mentioned she is cranky "all the time".

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Check out this link.
    HTH

Thanks for the link, tht helps a lot. I might be taking LO into the Dr. since some of her diapers are like Jelly. I called them mucsy. No she doesn't seem to have reflux.

yeah that mucousy stuff can be a big concern (if it's like a bloody jelly) and can also be an allergy symptom as well if it's just mucous. We had that trouble for weeks. our trigger was wheat -

Since you didn't reply about the reflux - I'll just leave you with a link

good luck

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Sorry, I thought I replied. No she doesn't seem to have reflux. Thanks. I will look at the link