Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hes drawing blood......teeth during bfing

Default hes drawing blood......teeth during bfing

dyls teething has been really rough on me. I was ok with being his comfort,etc but now hes drawing blood. he has two bottom teeth and one coming directly above,so the bight and pull-shheesh!
    what can I do?Can I numb it somehow?

Default Re: hes drawing blood......teeth during bfing

Ouch!! I have no suggestions to offer, since we are only starting the teething process. However, I wanted to give you a few.

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

dd did the same thing as far as bite and pull.
    i have to admit that i did scream a few "awwwww"s!
    go to dr sears or kellymom and pull up some of their information on biting when nursing.
    i basically would say, no biting over and over and over again. and, when she would bite i would just end the feeding for a few seconds - 15-30 - and then we would resume.
    she usually bit towards the end of the feeding or when she was being goofy. i noticed that if she started playing with her feet or smiling/trying to grab my face and mouth that the bite was the next thing coming.
    some people told me to let her chew on a cold teething ring first and then to let her nurse. i gues syou could try that too.

I was wondering the same thing. Right now I have two bite marks that have drawn blood and they hurt SO BAD when nursing, I almost can't stand it!

My LO got me yesterday on the right side. I noticed if he's not really interested and he's not laying down in serious BF position he might bite. It's hard since I'm trying to BF more during the day to lessen the night feedings naturally, but it seems like he just has more playing to do during the day and he's quiet and settled at night. Sorry, I guess this doesn't help, but I'd be weary of numbing your LO's gums too much because they might bite trying to get a latch!
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
    but I'd be weary of numbing your LO's gums too much because they might bite trying to get a latch!
    Haha! I was thinking of numbing myself from the bite pain, not LO's gums when I read this!

Quote Originally Posted by alston's mama View Post
    Haha! I was thinking of numbing myself from the bite pain, not LO's gums when I read this!
    thats what I meant!!!

I agree, I need some numbing too. But I don't know what to do, so I've just taken some Alieve, we'll see if that helps at all.