Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help quick--migraine--need meds

Default help quick--migraine--need meds

I have a 1 year old dd who nurses pretty frequently. I have a migraine and need to take pain meds. I'm not sure what I can take safely. I've got butalbital, hydrocodone or oxycodone that I can take (all prescribed for migraine relief before I was nursing)...kellymom says all three are not reviewed and are L3--any input from anyone?

Not around here as much :(

Default Re: help quick--migraine--need meds

All I know is right after I gave birth (all 3 times,) they prescribed Vicodin (hydrocodone). Seems that it would lead to reason that it's safe since I was nursing a newborn at the time.

I take Imitrex for my migranes.

For future reference, you can also search Dr Thomas Hale's work as this is his feild of expertise.

Good luck.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I take Esgic, an old pain medicine for mine (and just had one yesterday--I feel for you). I would definitely check Dr. Hale's site and take whichever is ok that works the best for you.

Hope you feel better!

Oh wait--if I'm not mistaken, it's the butalbital you mentioned.

I've always suffered from migraines. After my son was born, I was getting them ALL THE TIME and my doctor had prescribed Tylenol3 (tylenol w/codeine) for my c-section and it works for my really bad migraines. I know you may not just have tylenol3 in your medicine cabinet, but maybe you could take tylenol. ??? HTH
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in