Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

my son is 3 1/2 months old and as of a few days ago has been fussing at my breasts..it started with the left and now it's both. he arches ..squirms..whines..pulls of with a smack ..he cringes as well. i took him to the doc but of course he didn't do it in front of the doc b/c he started crying and used my bb's to comfort himself. Doc didn't know what was going on and just guessed that it's reflux. He also has only gained 3 ounces in the past 2 weeks..which the doc and i think maybe he has gained more but then recently lost some before i took him in. I did just start my period and now it's over but just last sunday i was able to really squirt milk out..and then today i had problems squirting from my right. I have been under a lot of stress but am feeling better. Could it be b/c of my period?? do i have a slow letdown?? has he become lazy b/c i give him a bottle of ebm every afternoon as a treat and now he likes the bottle better? i just read that if you supplement you shouldn't use a bottle..is that my mistake?? i have slow flow nipples on it. if i haven't fed him in a few hours i would get 5 to 6 ounces when i pumped and if he's been nursing i will get 1 1/2 ounces about 10 minutes after he's done. i've had a couple of supply issues but built my supply back up. So is this something to do with his age? could he be draining me faster? i rarely feel full anymore..which i read is normal...so any ideas?
    Last edited by mommason; June 23rd, 2006 at 01:51 AM.

Default Re: Help!

Some women experiment a slight decrease on their supply while they're on their periods and goes back to normal when period is over. I don't think the bottle is the problem since it started when you got your period. Pumping is not a good indicator of supply especially now when you're on your period. Also he might be going to a grow spurt, I know it should be around three months but I guess it could happen right before or after.

Default Re: Help!

yeah but my period ended days ago ...i used to get a lot of milk in the morning and today i had to watch my son struggle at the breast like i've never seen him do before. i know pumping is not a good indicator on supply but honestly right now when i pump it's the only thing that is reassuring me! at least i'm getting some milk out! ..i rarely in the past got over 4 ounces when pumping..usually get 3 ounces from both breasts together but i also nurse a lot all day..when i've had 3 hours w/out nursing i would get 5 to 6..but i was always able so hand express milk in the morning or during a feed..but now when i try that it's very difficult..i think i'm drying up.
    Last edited by mommason; June 23rd, 2006 at 10:56 AM.