Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 ms-still night nursing?

Default 11 ms-still night nursing?

Mother to first child William, born 02/17/07. Exclusively bf until now. Great solid food eater. Great weight and height.

Will continues to nurse once or twice a night. Co-sleeping makes no difference except to give Mom a little more sleep but he's gotten so big and squirmy in the middle of the night he actually keeps me up more. Have to go back to work in a month and starting to worry about the lack of sleep. Doc says he's conditioned by a hunger response to wake for feedings and that I should let him cry... tried that.. didn't work of course. Tried water instead of bf & tried decreasing the amount of bm given in the middle of the night.. nothing worked.

Any suggestions for further intervention or just go with the flow until he decides to stop nursing in the middle of the night? On average, at what age do children give up night nursing on their own?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: 11 ms-still night nursing?

Well honestly my 14 on old nurses more at night than during the day. I am glad that he gets the calories frankly. Your feelings may change when you are separated during the day, and your connection is in the evening.

I think the advice to cry it out, is something I would be speculative about. You sound as if you have been responsive to your baby's needs so far, and abrupt withdrawl of parenting at this point might be very upsetting for your baby.
    There are other more gentle ways to start night weaning. Would you be interested in more information?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 2nd, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

Yes, I would be interested in more information re: gentle night weaning. Thank you for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Well honestly my 14 on old nurses more at night than during the day. I am glad that he gets the calories frankly. Your feelings may change when you are separated during the day, and your connection is in the evening.

I think the advise to cry it out, is something I would be speculative about. You sound as if you have been responsive to your baby's needs so far, and abrupt withdrawl of parenting at this point might be very upsetting for your baby.
    There are other more gentle ways to start night weaning. Would you be interested in more information?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070300.asp

I like this link from dr sears..
    31 WAYS TO GET YOUR BABY TO GO TO SLEEP AND STAY ASLEEP EASIER

and one about night weaning

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070800.asp

some of the new begining stories might be helpfull to you also check them out here

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html

at 11 months most babies are still nursing much at night and that is normal for them. I think lots of moms have a tough time with it.
    IS he a high needs baby?
    High needs babys just realy need to nurse more often.

Ditto for our family, I have an 18 month old who still nurses often at night. We cosleep mostly, it seems more often then not now he's happier in his own crib, but he isn't giving up the night nursing at all! He is a high need, sensitive child too, sometimes they just need more touch time. I work full time too so he definitely reconnects with me all evening, and all night long.

Our sons have the same birthday

Mine will still get up to nurse 1-2 times a night as well. Do you have a guest room? What I do is take DS into the guest room and nurse him laying down so I don't have to completely wake up. Sometimes we both fall back asleep for an hour before I wake up and put him back in his crib.

I will admit I'm not as responsive as I was in the beginning. Now I listen to see if he's just whimpering or actually crying. Crying I get him immediatly, whimpers I wait and see if he'll settle back down by himself. Some nights by just waiting to see if he's actually awake and needing me (crying) or just kind of awake and not happy about it (whimpering) he won't need to nurse at all or only once. I've also noticed that having a good dinner in him helps. I don't change his diaper at night either so that cuts down on his awake time. Most nights I'm kind of a walking zombie, just going through the motions without much thought or effort.

I've also adjusted my bedtime to mirror his. If he goes to bed earlier then normal, so do I and of course if he's up late I don't have a choice

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

18 month-old here still night-nursing 2-3 (more when he is teething) times a night. I'd say don't do anything until your baby turns 1. After that you can try Dr. Jay Gordon's method, some mothers here swear by it:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    18 month-old here still night-nursing 2-3 (more when he is teething) times a night. I'd say don't do anything until your baby turns 1. After that you can try Dr. Jay Gordon's method, some mothers here swear by it:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
    I just succesfully night weaned my then 18 mo old. (he's almost 19 months now) using this method

good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    I just succesfully night weaned my then 18 mo old. (he's almost 19 months now) using this method

good luck
    You did! Good for ya..Now I feel less guilty for thinking about attempting it we have postponed trying it becos we are leaving for one month vacation in few days.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."