Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pooping LOTS! Could it be bc of antibiotics?

Default pooping LOTS! Could it be bc of antibiotics?

My 4.5 month old went from having 1 bm every 3rd day to having 4 in 1 day! They are normal looking (more normal than they've ever looked, actually), but they are big and so often. Could this be due to the amoxicillan that he's on bc of an ear infection? Or is it something I'm eating?

On that same subject, why is my bf baby getting an ear infection this young? I thought that bfing would protect him against this. Dd didn't get a cold until she was 11 months old and not an ear infection until she was 18 months old. This is the second cold my baby has had and now the ear infection. Maybe bc he's the second child and dd brings more germs home? Poor little guy.

Thanks!

Erin

Default Re: pooping LOTS! Could it be bc of antibiotics?

Sorry your babe hasn't been feeling well... I will say that breastfeeding will give them a greater chance at not becoming ill, but it won't prevent illness in the way we sometimes think. Also - the doc could have been a little preemptive in giving the abx - you know a "just in case" dosage - sometimes they do that, unfortunately.

But I will say that yes - antibiotics can cause loose stools in people, so that's most likely what the increase in poops is due to. You can look into giving him probiotics (acidophilus) to balance out his tummy flora thats all out of whack with the abx.

I'll be right back with some more info

back ************

Some moms find chiropractic care helps eliviate ear infections/symptoms.

Preventing & treating ABX side effects
    Last edited by Number3; December 31st, 2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

w/ Eme.

My littlest one is on amoxicillan right now for ear infection too. We HAD to fly for the holiday....blah! Anyway, she's pooping like crazy and it smells!! Never smells. Sorry TMI!! Hang in there, it's probably the abx. Keep watch when he stops taking it

I wish bf'ing kept all illness away. But it does help w/ comfort when they are sick and it really does cut back on illness, I think. (said the mom who didn't bf her first dd)!!

Read "Healing Childhood Ear Infections". I am guessing your LO has some type of allergy going on. You might take care to get him on probiotics to replenish good gut flora after the ABX and help him fend off future bugs.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thank you all for your responses. Will me taking probiotics help him?

Erin