Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! She can't make up her mind!

Question Help! She can't make up her mind!

My two month old little girl can't make up her mind... when she was born we had to stay in the hospital for 7 days due to breathing problems. She didn't get to eat anything for two days. But then I got to start feeding her on day three. I had been pumping so my milk was already in by the first time I fed her. Shortly after my breasts got horribly engorged. So the lactation consultant had me introduce a nipple shield. We had to do this for quite a while, my breasts were just producing so much milk. Well..she got to the point she wouldn't eat without it. The lactation consultant seemed to think it was b/c I was basically "drowning" her with milk without the shield. But now...she can't make up her mind. One feeding she will cry if I don't give her the shield and the next time she will cry if the shield is there. Any suggestions on how I can get her off the shield all together??? It is almost more hassel than anything. But sometimes she will just cry if I don't give it to her and she won't latch on!

I am truly confused and I think she is too! HELP!

Default Re: Help! She can't make up her mind!

Hello and ,

Weaning from a nipple shield can be hard. It would be best if you could have some "hands on" help. Do you have a local LLL leader in your area? What were your LC's suggestions for weaning from the nipple shield?

Here is an interesting article about nipple shields that might help you: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul00p39.html

To be honest with you, I have never heard of using a nipple shield when OALD is an issue. More helpful things to do would be to catch the inital spray of milk in a cloth diaper or towel and relatch the baby after the milk flow has slowed down, and to vary nursing positions (football hold, sidelying, and reclining/leaning backward) to allow gravity to slow the milk flow a bit.

The fact that your baby is sometimes nursing without the shield is good news! Keep working at it, and definitely contact a local LLL leader if possible!

Hang in there,

Tiana

She is now doing great with out the sheild! We haven't used one in a while now and we are learning to work with the OALD that seems to have been the problem. We are doing great! Thanks for your help!!

Yeah for you! That's very good news!!

Tiana