Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth Spurt ?

Default Growth Spurt ?

My LO is just turning 11 weeks. I didn't think the next growth spurt was until around 3 months and he has about 2 more weeks for that. Yet lately his sleeping pattern has gotten worse. He has never slept through the night but the last few days he has been waking about 3-4 times which he hadn't been doing for a couple of weeks. He is definitely comforted by nursing but I don't really know if he is actually hungry or just starting some bad sleep habits. I didn't really expect him to sleep through the night yet, but I was thinking he would only be waking one to two times at this point. He was 14lbs and 3 ounces at his last appointment and I thought as they got bigger their need to nurse as frequently would decrease. His eating pattern during the day hasn't increased like his nighttime pattern. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Growth Spurt ?

Hi, i was wondering the same as you. My lo is 11 weeks as well and these past couple of days have not been the greatest. He is always happy but lately when he is tired the only way he wants to sleep is with nursing. Also he used to only wake up at 3am and 7am but for the past 2 nights his sleeping pattern has been so different. Good luck to ya

There is a growth spurt that happens somewhere around 3 months, but that's not a magic number. Meaning, babies don't have little calendars in their pockets that they use to determine when it's time for the 3 months spurt. So your LO could be doing it a couple weeks early. The 3 month spurt is rough for a lot of mamas, so hang in there. It will come to an end ... eventually!

Keep in mind, too, that babies' sleep needs are constantly changing, with not only growth spurts but also teething and developmental milestones and simply because they're babies. My DD slept 6 or 7 hours stretches in the early months, but I haven't seen a good 6-hour stretch in ... I don't even know how long, because I can't remember when the last time was. She's been going about 2.5 hours at a time lately, and I have found myself thinking it's so nice because for the last couple months it was every hour. My point is that your LO (unless you're lucky) will likely be constantly changing up the sleep pattern just as you're starting to get used to it being a certain way. It doesn't mean he's developing "bad habits" or that anything is wrong--he's just being a baby!
    Last edited by Pajama Mama; January 2nd, 2008 at 07:47 PM.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

i'm the mom of a 4 wk old...generally when do the growth spurts occur?

Quote Originally Posted by julesmom View Post
    i'm the mom of a 4 wk old...generally when do the growth spurts occur?
    Ah, get ready, mama! There's usually a spurt right around 1 month. Then again at 3 months and 6 months. Some people say there are 4 month spurts (we had one) and others. These are the big ones, and then there are also little spurts in between. And, as usual, every baby is different, so this is just a guideline. If you haven't already checked it out, kellymom is another great source of info for this kind of stuff.

ETA: For us the spurts consisted of a major increase in nighttime hours, anywhere from every 1 to 2 hours all night long (whereas she normally went 3-4 hours in between) and major fussiness during the day. You'll learn to recognize your LO's particular "symptoms" eventually. And just remember that it does come to an end. Spurts can sometimes be incredibly exhausting for everyone.
    Last edited by Pajama Mama; January 3rd, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

You can also notice because one day the clothes fit and the next they don't! William grew 2 inches in one week!

Thanks guys! I'm so new to this. I'm so glad I decided to come to this website. I have a SIL i call all day long with questions and she doesn't mind but it's good to see other mother's have the same kind of questions that I have. You guys give me that extra motivation to continue.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a baby attached to my breast 24 hours a day. My daughter is 3 weeks today and she's been nursing constantly for the past few days. She's fine at night and goes 3-4 hours between feedings, but during the day I can't get anything done at all. I need to find my baby wrap. We haven't used it in two years and it got lost in all of our son's stuff.

I did have a question, though. Gwen will eat fine in the football hold, but I really don't think she eats well when I have her in the cradle or cross-cradle hold. She doesn't swallow the same way as she does in the other position and I don't think she sucks quite as effectively. My son had an improper suck reflex that we couldn't correct, so I had to bottlefeed him. I guess I'm a little paranoid of having something go wrong this time, too. (Gwen is gaining weight, but I still worry that she's not latching properly.)