Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which pump should I buy?

Default Which pump should I buy?

Hi Ladies,
    My son is 10 months old and I had been renting hospital grade from when he was 3 months old(I know it is too long to rent a pump but I was worried to move to another one with the fear that it might not be as effective). But now, considering that it is pretty expensive continuing it further, I'm planning to buy a new one( I know what you ladies are thinking... since my baby is almost close to year, I may not need to pump during the day, right?). Well, here comes my question #1: If I don't have a freezer stash of bm, should my baby drink cow's milk when I'm away for work ?
    If yes, I want to give him bm even when I'm away. So my second question is : What is the best pump out there(under $300)? How can I know if it works for me or not? I can't return it if it doesn't work for me right? I read online that some pumps work good for some people while not for others.
    Sorry for too many questions.I'm confused

Default Re: Which pump should I buy?

are you planning more kids?
    If not I might continue to rent the pump
    its still cheaper then formula would be and you know it works well for you!
    Some moms find once the baby starts eatting solids well they can just not pump during the day and baby is fine with just nursing when you are together.
    As long as toddler is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours you don't have to worry about adding any other milk...

have you tried hand expression?
    that too might work for just once a day or so.

As far as which is the best you here a lot about the Medela brand but it is also a personal preference. Because pumps are expensive (BTW I rented one as well--TOO MUCH MOOLAH!) have you tried WIC. If you are going to continue to EBF WIC may supply you with one that is how I got my pump. The gave me a brand new Ameda pump.

They may even give you a manual hand pump as well if they don't have a electric pump on hand--this is what they did for me they gave me an adven manual pump to keep again brand new until my electric pump came in.

One more thing my pump actually uses an ac adapter so that may not qualify as electric to some but hey to me if it plugs into an outlet it's electric :-).
    Last edited by malleyboo; January 2nd, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: more information
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Talking Re: Which pump should I buy?

Medela PISA hands down. I rented a hospital grade pump the first month and then bought this and it is the best.(same as hospital grade in my opinion) I got mine new for $250 I think from lactationcare.com. I personally would go with bm instead of cows.