Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacifiers...good or bad?

Default Re: Pacifiers...good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by GageWsMom View Post
    think of it this way.......you can take the paci away, the thumb is there forever......
    This is exactly what my doctor said! and now thats what I tell everyone! as long as I can wean her by her 2nd birthday! (my personal goal)

I was anti-paci before my lo as well! But it has truly been a life saver! She likes to suck and I am not always there to whip out the breast
    It helps her sleep! I try to only give it to her when she is cranky and needs to sleep! It also has helped her become an "all-night-sleeper" since 2 months! Some claim it causes nipple confusion, but my lo DEFINITELY knows the difference -- it helps us determine whether she is hungry or just wants to suck, she will deny it if she is hungry or get immediate sleepy eyes if she wants to suck it to sleep!

HTH
    -Katie
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

I was anti-paci before my lo as well! But it has truly been a life saver! She likes to suck and I am not always there to whip out the breast
    It helps her sleep! I try to only give it to her when she is cranky and needs to sleep! It also has helped her become an "all-night-sleeper" since 2 months! Some claim it causes nipple confusion, but my lo DEFINITELY knows the difference -- it helps us determine whether she is hungry or just wants to suck, she will deny it if she is hungry or get immediate sleepy eyes if she wants to suck it to sleep!

HTH
    -Katie[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same w/ my LO, exactly!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Thanks for the post everyone. It's relieved my mind a lot. I find that Ari only wants the paci in the car and sometimes right after breastfeeding...she gets mad at the end of a feed because she's still getting milk and she just wants to suck...it's actually kind of funny to watch!!!!! I am going to try and find alternate ways to sooth her though. Thanks again!!
    Last edited by kakes505; January 2nd, 2008 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kakes505 View Post
    I live in Guelph
    Well than i guess we are not too far from each other. Email me thru here anytime Just click on private messages at the top right hand corner. Glad you joined and i look forward to posting with you.

I am replying w/o reading any other replies - forgive me for what is bound to be redundant

I think pacifiers have a time and place. When used responsibly, and after breastfeeding if well established, they can be nice to have around.

Just my 2 cents - simply put
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We started using one in the hospital! Lactation consultant said Nuk orthodontic only and actually gave it to us. Never had any nipple confusion and like a pp said, it helps us to know if she's hungry or wanting to suck, since she will get angry is she gets the wrong one! We usually use it for sleep and in the car. Once in a while at the end of a feeding if she's tired - she wants to suck, but gets so angry when she sill gets milk!!